Be4ver's Toyota Corona GX61 Mark II

be4ver

Ok so I just wrote out a huge story detailing all the dramas I've had with this over the past few days and my gay ipad decided to refresh itself and cleared it all so here is a dramatically simplified version of events.

Towed car to to mechanics.

Got new cambelt, water pump, crank and cam seals.

No oil leaks.

Forgot I already had the seals I needed and got new ones.

Forgot to say I had drained oil days earlier.

Nearly cooked engine.

Had it not been for a new, rather large, water leak the engine would have been run for longer than a minute or two.

Lucky water leak.

Hole in thermostat housing. (Bolt from water pump went through it, wasn't me..)

Replaced thermostat housing using new gaskets etc

leaking.

Tried again + silicon

Success... So far.

Getting sick of crusty old 1g-geu.

Got sick of getting wierd looks driving round all Mexican spec like this..

mnPJEvs.jpg

So today me and my work mate took some spare struts I have, cut springs and sneakily welded them in there to keep them "captive"

Resulting in this.

Sorry about shit pics but I forgot to take any at work before I left.

qnndm1Rl.jpg

3HATNdXl.jpg

Much better to drive now, not like driving a cloud anymore

Wheels soon...

• Like 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

better pic of lows

i2rt.jpg

boner time.....

2fjr.jpg

rdbf.jpg

g1w3.jpg

heres a pic of the springs i put in the back compared to the stock ones

3jlb.jpg

how do people go about sealing rims up when bolting back together? just liberal use of silicone all up in there first or just bolt together then sealant? 

7k9x.jpg
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok so it turns out i fucked up sealing up my rims and they both have slow leaks and go flat over a few days. Which is not what good tyres do so i've taken them off for a 2nd try at sealing them.

And fitted these for now lol

hwnd.jpg

started changing shit over for the up coming manual conversion 

made a fucking mess of this haha

e7cj.jpg

i did tidy it up a little more... a little

I some how lost or forgot to get the brake pedal out of the wrecked car. So now i have this...

h0p2.jpg

Which isn't ideal so if anyone has a manual brake pedal please let me purchase it from you!

and just for fun

d8am.png

• 3 months later...

Well long time no up date. Not heaps has happened with it, mostly due to starting a new job where I have to do actual work all day instead of working on my cars all day haha.

Anyway what I have done is attempt to test fit the adjustables I got off ant ages ago. This quickly failed when I discovered the x61 calipers must be smaller than the x71 ones because the mounting holes were further apart than the ones on my car.

So if anyone has some gx71 calipers lying around please measure the distance between the mounting holes and then possibly sell them to me :)

Got these in the weekend so will be soon running 8.5s on the back and the 8s can go up front. Well I think.........I've gone done confused myself. I measured the dish on my 7.5s and the dish on these new outters is 1.4inches more. So wouldn't that make it more like almost a 9 inch wide rim? Or am I just thinking about this all wrong? Either way :D :D

Santa bear is keepin them scratch free

mry0Fj1l.jpg

Was also lucky enough to join some riverside guys in a photoshoot for nzpc magazine this weekend. So awesome! And great to finally meet some of the people who have inspired me with my build. Cant wait for the issue to come out!

7o2jxWc.jpg

Really inspired me to get this thing lower after after I saw how high my car is compared to these guys!

Now to find a hoist to borrow so I can put my w55 in! Will be sussing a new clutch and flywheel machining in the coming weeks as well as wheels so will hopefully motivate me to get things done.

nFQOBwgl.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Got this chin spoiler thing sorted :D

Chopped the one in those ^^ pics in half and with a lot of fucking around and a lot of masking tape for test fits  and a lot of angle grindering and shit, i came up with this....

zpMVyDo.jpg

rKOA81M.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

There hasn't been a great deal of progress here lately but I've put the rego on hold and I'm actually going to start the manual conversion.

The clutch kit is ordered and the flywheel is getting machined. I discovered a small water leak behind the engine from one of the heater hoses so i will sort that out once the gearbox is out. 

Possibly some other cool shit will happen while its off the road but that's a story for another day...

I'll leave you with these photos i took when it was at about 30-40mm high

qleiJTz.jpg

XybJpXb.jpg

0ISITks.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...