Be4vers Gx61 Mark II

be4ver

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job saving this, nice to find it in that good condition and not after the demo derby! Hard to imagine how i would feel going to a demolition derby and seeing a tidy one of these drive out hahaaha

Im watching the project thread with interest, nice fast progress too, keep up the good work :)

haha yeah fucken oil leaks everywhere! starting to dislike these engines a little... but have most of them sorted. just the small one behind the crank pulley to do now. oh and the oil filter has decided it wants to leak too now

this is what the tappet cover gasket looked like haha

img05571.jpg

who can tell me weather a w58 box would be suitable for this? all i can sus out is that they have different ratios.

1Gs, we either love them or hate them, that caked on shit is prtty mild, when there are 20mm long stalagtites of crud hanging down thats when you know its probably had 3 oil changes its whole life!

W58 would be perfect, same as the factory W55 box apart from the ratios like you say. You need the rear shifter that comes in MA70, GA70 supra, GX71, GX81

So I'd need to change the shifter? The w58 has a remote shifter I take it? I guess finding one of those would be just as difficult as finding a whole gearbox.

Probably be better off buying LS 2 THE DEEEs w55. Just got to deal with the freighting then

Only the N/A JZA80 (mk IV Supra) in Manual comes with a remote shift W58 as far as I'm aware.

Excluding the 'SZ-R' spec, which has the V160/1 6 speed

All others should be rear or maybe mid?

ala,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/gear-boxes/auction-601472353.htm

They'd probably be the best condition operating box you'd find though,

not as old and most likely smoother engagement,

as I've read the newer remote shift R154 in JZX100 [and I assume F/L JZZ30 Soarer (in TT& manual obv)]

are a much nicer box than the old JZA70, JZX81 R154's,

(unless they were just shagged and he didn't know what he was talking about, but I'd say there's merit in that statement)

I am pining for this, relinquish it to me beav! haha

Yeah I still really want the proper gx61 ones still but finding them will be pretty difficult im sure. I didn't want to get the wrong ones and have it look funny but these are pretty similar and the same shape so yeah they'll do for now. I was thinking I might paint the dark parts white so they look a bit more factory

Firstly, I think you should put them on the car then decide. 
I personally wouldnt paint them white, but it is your pride and joy so do your thing. Chuck them on as they are when you can,and then decide?

I Think that particular photo makes them look white,

as car/paint/mirrors are all still über mint/J-side examples with 36thou Km's on the clock

CouldmakethismypridenjoyandleavethehardquestionsformenoIwontletupky

I know them mirrors reasonably well, they're a silver paint finish factory, his are just immaculate

Ok I tried them on today and you were all right, white will look dumb, I'm gunna leave them the dark grey that they are.

They don't really look as good as I was hoping for.... They are too fat i think. But still 100x better than the other ones, ill rock them for now. Might look better once I put the bonnet back on too.

Will have to come up with something better than cable ties to hold them on with though.

wxWU6mwl.jpg

TyvKuIZl.jpg