64Valiant's ideal AP5

Valiant

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea man is a rather hot slant 6. don't remember the specks as i was just a young fella when we started but will get hold of mates that help'd my dad chuck it together and get back. but has a complete re build and cam was imported from states and have a nice offenhauser rocker cover from states as well.

• Like 1

Nice AP mate, had a few VAL's over the years, mainly VG's but had a VC once (basically an AP I guess!) 

I actually like the factory colour, looks pretty cool I reckon. Mind you my XP Falcon is two tone like yours so maybe I am biased haha. 

Slants can be made to go pretty hard! Is your car a torque flight auto or 3 speed manual?

Nice, nothing wrong with 3 on the tree, I remember my VC could do the most impressive second gear burnouts without even really trying lol.

I knowledgable guy once told me that the XY or similar Falcon 3 speed manual box's were a good swap for the Valiant ones as the ratios are better spread out, I tend to agree as I always thought 2nd & 3rd were quite far apart.

Thanks for the comments on the XP, been getting into the rust repairs lately, nearly there now.

sweet car.  will be cool with those triples and rocker cover etc

may i suggest loading up that cam with break in lube before you put its pants back on

thanks man. the engine will get a good clean down and probably pulled apart to clean things like the cam.

as for the right hand front guard. thats mint, no can do with helping you get rid of it. as i also have a parts shed full of extras. but if it going to go to a fee home, you know were to find me :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you're still running a factory carb and manifold, I'd wager that those headers will give you an off idle stumble/hesitation.

EVERY 6cyl val (Both slants, and hemis) have developed a flat spot with headers. I even went back to a cast iron manifold on my last AP5.

If you're still running a factory carb and manifold, I'd wager that those headers will give you an off idle stumble/hesitation.

EVERY 6cyl val (Both slants, and hemis) have developed a flat spot with headers. I even went back to a cast iron manifold on my last AP5.

really? is that related to the butterfly valve/flap thing that sits between the intake and exhaust manifolds? what ever that does Im not sure?

Have you put a Electronic ignition in it yet? I put one in my old Valiant was magic from then on. Great looking car 

thanks :) im currently saving for a few extra things for it and electronic ignition is one of them on the two do list. having to change clutch next week. hopefully things dont keep braking on me.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work. Good old fashioned backyard mechanic work. I am super jealous of your offy rocker cover...

thanks man. i really enjoy working on it myself as much as possible so i can say i done it. and the less money i spend fixing it the more money i can put into it (petrol wise) the rocker cover will look even better once its on it :)