Threeonthetree's V8 Belmont

Threeonthetree

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liking this project.  Im not 100%, but ifI remember correctly the 2.78:1 and all shorter (3.08:1 and upwards) have different sized carrier housings (at least the salisbury, not sure about banjo) so changing ratios are not a simple swap.  Like the choice of going with the 3spd, should be able to get heaps of bits very cheaply.

The Holden Banjo differentials seem to be a bit hit and miss in this regard.

As far as I know, the physical size of the 2.78:1 and 3.08:1 ratio crownwheels mean that they have a larger case to accomodate the larger crownwheels.

The general rule of thumb is that the 2.78:1 and 3.08:1 centres will not fit into any of the shorter ratio differential housings.

BUT,

There have been notable exceptions whereby the heads and axles have been swapped with no clearance issues. The centre carriers have a slightly different offset but there is enough adjustment for it to work (whereas it won't work at all in a Salisbury differential).

My original plan was the remove my current complete differential assembly from the wagon and simply install the complete 2.78:1 assembly (after welding the spring mounts back onto the housing). I think this is by far the best idea.

While I have both rear ends out of the car and side by side, I'll have a play around and see if a swap is possible.

If I can get away with swapping heads and axles, a couple of the existing studs holding the 3.55:1 head will be removed and fitted with longer bolts/studs to allow the taller ratio heads to be fitted. Like so:

800px-Image%28087%29.jpg

This is because the 2.78:1 and 3.08:1 ratio heads have much longer cast bosses. As shown here:

P8140009.jpg

The 2.78:1 rear end that I have already has a V8 yoke fitted to the pinion, so that's at least one job taken care of.

That can be fitted onto whichever pinion I eventually use.

It's probably the most valuable part of the whole rear end!

Thanks,

I owe my knowledge to the older guys that generally own these things. They've been an indispensable source of information and first hand experience.

I may start attending some Early Holden club meetings too.

Especially because of this:

Holden%20Brougham%2002.jpg

Not exactly the same one as in the picture, but I drove a Brougham the other day.

It was almost untouched from when it was built, save for a repaint, removal of the vinyl roof and some rust repairs.

All of the running gear was original. Factory 308 with a 2 speed Powerglide transmission.

These were the luxury model of their time (similar to what the Statesman is supposed to be nowadays).

Most luxury flagships of that era used extended wheelbase versions of regular sedan platforms.

But not the Brougham. Probably due to budget constraints, Holden simply (and roughly) extended the boot on a Premier model sedan, keeping the wheelbase exactly the same. Job done.

It also had a whole heap of executive gadgets such as power windows (using Cadillac regulators), rear courtesy lights, glovebox light, extremely plush and generously padded seats (many using Cadillac fabric) power steering, boot courtesy light, extra instrumentation and a few other touches.

The monstrous boot could probably fit six of me inside without chopping off any limbs and you'd still be able to close the boot stylishly with 'the power of silence'.

I'm hoping that the owner will sell it to me.

Because I've been thinking abut that car ever since.

And he knows it.

• 1 month later...

Don't get rid of the turbo's MAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEE

Best wheels ever made

Had I put two and two together when you were round the other night I would have yarned more about H series holdens with ya, I have a neglected HX premier in the driveway

• Like 1

Ah, the trusty old holden column manuals.

I had a smellmont, and the 1-2 shift was poos. You had to shift up out of 1, before going away and up to 2. Otherwise it jammed like a cunt.

Be sure to take lots of pics of the body once you start delving into the bodywork.

Ah, the trusty old holden column manuals.

I had a smellmont, and the 1-2 shift was poos. You had to shift up out of 1, before going away and up to 2. Otherwise it jammed like a cunt.

Be sure to take lots of pics of the body once you start delving into the bodywork.

haha i think this is a universal thing on Q's, I could shift mine pretty quickly without jamming it but ever time it went for a wof the guy would always stuff it up and be stuck in first right round the block

^^^same thing happened when my mates drove it. Usually when I was too pissed to drive. (So several times a week lol)

My dads work used to have slightly later h something utes when I was a small boy. Dad ripped the shifter right off the column doing a fast shit one time. The guy who had to fix it was fucking spewing. ot/spam

• 2 months later...

Loving the resto ( if you'd call it that) on your wagon mate.  I had the column shift 3-speed in my Dubya Bea until I did a fast shift around a corner then floord the pedal. the box blew itself to shreds internally, was a mess, wish I kept it and rebuilt it , In the long run. hindsights a bitch

Cheers.

Was that when your WB was six cylinder?

The three speed all-synchro manual gearboxes that were used behind the sixes and V8s were actually identical, save for a lengthened input shaft for V8 applications.

So I just use six cylinder innards because they're cheaper to buy, then add a V8 input shaft.

I never ever had issues with my column-change holdens,

as for the 3 spd floor-change in my XA....if you didnt get it right it would jam in 1st constantly, in a way it was great coz no one else could drive it but me

seen a few holdens recently with the 3 spd manual behind the V8, so cool

and if I had my way, every car I own would have a front bench seat/column change

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

if youd ever happen to want to get rid of those turbos i could be interested :]

Turbos will be out the door once the Standard steels are ready to be fitted.

Let me know if you'd still be interested in them.

I had my way, every car I own would have a front bench seat/column change

As Mr Loaf sang, you took the words right out of my mouth.

That's my dream. So far of my three vehicles, two are bench seat/column-change and one is bench seat/floor-change.

Nearly there.