Pro-ma mbl8 oil additive = snake oil?..

yoeddynz

My workmates suggested I use this stuff for my noisy lifters. After pricing it up at Repco, $35 trade, I looked it up and it looks lke snake oil to me. I always wonder that if these sort of products were so good then why don't the big oil companies add it to their oils?.

http://www.pro-masystems.co.nz/ProductMoreInfo.aspx?PID=50083&MenuID=1156

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

For now I have bought some Repco lifter stuff- price at trade is cheap enough to give it a go. Not put it in yet. I will post back in time as to whether it works or not.

No it does work however it's a band aid fix, like using stop leak instead of actually fixing a leaking radiator. Better of just cleaning the lifters.

Also I have heard horror stories of excessive sludge build up in Evos (Mitsi guys used it a lot 10 odd years ago) when used for extended periods of time. However now that we have a greater understanding of what causes the noisy lifter problems they either clean them or replace them with later model versions that solved the issues causing the noise.

The Proma stuff is the go, I've used it in my ex's Lantis (for the last 100,000kms+) and a lot of Mitsubishis and tappet noise comes back after about 8-9000kms. Used to be only sold at Mitsubishi so that proves its worth, they would gone through boxes of the stuff.

It is the only additive of any kind I'll use.

MBL8 is absolutely snake oil - that works...

Other stuff works too like the Wynns one but MBL8 is the only one I have actually poured in and heard the lifters go from tapping to quiet in the course of a drive around the block.

Oky doky. Will see how this repco stuff goes and go from there.

It's not worth me pulling down a $100 engine just because of some clicky lifters. These ones can be taken apart and cleaned properly but lots of fuss when it's just a stop gap engine till we build up another 2.5

Valiant - should I be running 5/30? It seems I should but I just put in magnatec 10/40 at repcos advice on weight. But since then I have done some research and it looks like it would be better with thinner oil especially over winter. Once the current oil gets really hot after a good run the noisy followers go.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I saw this MBL8 demo with my own eyes at the Field days in Mystery Creek, June,1991, (training as a young 17yo heavy automotive mechanic) It wont fix mechanical short comings or problems (which is stated aswell) Ive always used it as a preventive and piece of mind additive. My Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5ltr V6, 290000 ks, and still has a beautiful clean exhaust pipe, tiny main bearing leak but the engine is still tight n sealed. My ProMa rep is awesome,  a text message and what ever I need is couriered within days. Triple D Consulting. Phone Auckland New Zealand 09 416 8156 or mobile,  0274844285 or, trevorwillmot@gmail.com