shavenYak's 1985 Suzuki Carry - discussion

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a melt down.

Just gonna try rangi straighten the old one.... Erp

This is probably a dumb question, but have you tried SAS yet?  I'm sometimes surprised by what random stuff they have listed.

(5663277)

yeah... sad but, those are the FRONT drums... hahaha. the rears pop off by winding two 8mm bolts into the threaded holes and it pops them off according to the manual. the manual i have only is for disc brake front end, which i was not privelleged enough to have, because it's an 85, not and 86.

will give that a try. someone has told me to just hit them with a hammer and wiggle them loose.... haha

Do not hit around the circumference - hit the face of the drum a couple of times with good solid thwacks and on the diagonal between the face and the circumference. Turning it half a turn between thwacks and it should come loose - or wind the bolts up until they are fairly tight and try thwacking again. All that fails then drive it to the party on Saturday night and we can do roadside mechanics between shots.

Method for doing up the nut.

While rotating the wheel, tighten the adjusting nut until there is a slight 
bind and all bearing surfaces are in contact. Then back off the adjusting 
nut 1/6 to 1/4 turn to the nearest locking hole, until the wheel rotates freely 
with .001˝ to .010˝ end play, or clearance. Lock the nut at this position 

sweet as. is there any nack for undoing it?

i had a crack at it (with a yucky adjustable spanner, mind you) and it felt like i was gonna throw the van off the axle stands... :-s

might just get the right sized socket (feels like a 29mm..?) and put a big bar on and take it sloowwwwww.

excellent tip for tightening it up. otherwise i wouldve just banged it up damn tight!