shavenYak's 1985 Suzuki Carry - discussion

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had 13x 6 +13 advan a3a's on my st90 ute and i had to get a bit of hamer action up front. 2" blocks at back and as previos mentioned, take an inch out of the front top spring perch and you are away laughing.

i swapped diff with a datsun 1200. went from 5.1 ratio to 3.9. much nicer on motorway to daily too and from work. suprisingly tourqey motors. (mine was a f8a)

That was also a thought running through my head, swapping to tiny wheels and tyres and getting a better diff ratio. How hard was it to fit the datsun 1200 diff? Sounds ideal. Im pretty sure 1.6 mx5's have a 3.9 ratio open diff in them.

Hmmm so having a look on the mightboy forums in aussie, they reckon a Suzuki sierra diff might fit. Unsure what that is but I assume its similar to a samurai.

Because chassis code for the van is SK410, im sure some of the parts between the SJ410 and the SK410 must be transferrable, right? Sj410 is the samurai I think. And they both ran the f10a engine.

Mightboy forums also mentioned that S13 Silvia camber top hats fit the front of these vans... I will be testing this theory at some point.

That was also a thought running through my head, swapping to tiny wheels and tyres and getting a better diff ratio. How hard was it to fit the datsun 1200 diff? Sounds ideal. Im pretty sure 1.6 mx5's have a 3.9 ratio open diff in them.

4.3 for the 6" Stock diff in the 1600. 4.1 in the 1800(Some special editions and the 1600NB 5 speed 4.3) and the 6-Speed came in 3.9 or 3.636 

Mightboy forums also mentioned that S13 Silvia camber top hats fit the front of these vans... I will be testing this theory at some point.

better yet - i found pics of someone else who;s done it. hahaha

DSCF0809.JPG

DSCF0808.JPG

don't actually see much point in it apart from 'mean cambarz yo'. but hilarious that it actually fits.

also - after more research, the internets tells me that a Suzuki Sierra SJ410 has a 4.1 ratio diff that will swap into the carry and bring it down from 5.1

datsun 1200 diff measured 1300mm face to face. way larger drums then the st90(1280mm). my diff came with tail shaft to mod with mine just had to move leaf mounts a little. i ran 10mm thick alloy top hats with strut hole moved for better camber/wheel fitment. mainly because old hats were very worn and didnt want a strut in my poo hole

Funny story. I tried to crash start It by rolling it down the hill we live on. Turns out, because its been fairly recently been resealed, the rear end is too light to grip so it just slides and locks up the rear wheels when I dump the clutch... Hahhaa.

Phoned the mechanic just before. I left the keys with them and they've managed to get it down to the shop haha.

is yours a 4 speed or 5 speed?

I had a super carry, and I would never had changed the diff ratio, it was so sweet, perfect for busting round town in, even batter with the super wide feet, actually like driving a go kart, it felt it was never ever going to tip over.

• Like 1

is yours a 4 speed or 5 speed?

I had a super carry, and I would never had changed the diff ratio, it was so sweet, perfect for busting round town in, even batter with the super wide feet, actually like driving a go kart, it felt it was never ever going to tip over.

was the same with my old daihatsu hijet,had 215 50 13 yokos on it,bastard thing used to take corners at 80 that a normal car wouldnt do at 50 :lol: