Help finding a replacement igniter for a toyota MEU

Guest Banter

Guest Banter

Hi guys. I'm trying to sort out the ignition system in my celica xx. It's turning over but I have no spark. I've narrowed it down to the ignition module, but the part isn't made any more and I can't find a second hand one. Will an igniter off another M engine work maybe? Are the internals on an igniter much different between models?

I'm pretty sure the igniter is the problem, I've got voltage from the positive side pf the coil to earth but not from the negative side to earth which was the check in the haynes manual at the library. The coil isn't the problem as I've just replaced it.

Any help would be really awesome.

Thanks, Andrew

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I wonder if any of you who commented on this thread are still around. I am also looking for the same igniter for a 1980 Celica XX.

l've found these ones for sale, I haven't contacted the seller, but I wonder what you guys think.

This one is new after market for US$422

http://toyheadauto.com/J-pegs/ignitor7981Celica.JPG

and then there's this multiple spark version that's only US$239

http://toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/PerPics/MSD6A.jpg

My 1st choice would be a 2nd hand one that works. Is that sensible or do they include components that don't age well?

my 2nd Choice would be the straight aftermarket one, but it's pretty expensive.

I don't know if it's a good idea to get involved with the multi spark upgrade version. Will it create new problems?