Quintins BEAMS KP61 Starlet

Guest 20vkp61

Guest 20vkp61

Ive had my Starlet for 10+ years now and there are already 2 evolutions behind me. EVO1 covers the 4age20v I put in it years ago. EVO2 covers me turning it into a track car. Both these builds and the 3rd (below) can be found on my personal build page located at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~quibel/

This thread here will cover the EVO3 build only - This is where I cover the things I did to put in a 3sge BEAMS engine, box, loom, ecu, dash etc etc etc.

you can discuss at this link

http://oldschool.co....s-kp61-starlet/

This is the start point for EVO 3

RaceStarlet_110.jpg

• Like 1

Guest 20vkp61

I started by removing the 4age blacktop/silvertop that was in teh bay, complete with loom, link ecu and t50 box. I sold all that gear so that I could begin the build.

First purchase was buying a 3sge BEAMS engine from a 99 Altezza. Making sure that I also got the box, loom, ecu and dash and everything else I would need.

E3_001.jpg

E3_002.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

First thing i did was to reverse the gearbox mount to bring it further foward. Such an easy mod on this box.

remove top 2 bolts, and side bolts and remove the gearstick

E3_003.jpg

undo the bolt and pop the pin holding the holder the shifter in place.

E3_004.jpg

take off the shifter mount and put it on the other way

E3_005.jpg

move foward 50mm and use the holes that were already present.

E3_006.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

even though i got given an altezza dash with the engine i wasnt happy with it.

E3_012.jpg

i ended up leaving with a 9000rpm centre mounted tacho dash instead

E3_014.jpg

at the same time i also scored an aftermarket pod filter and pipe out of one fo the 3sges in the yard.E3_010.jpg

and not to be out done I also scored a 6kg billet flywheel to eventually get rid of the dual mass crapperE3_015.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

Also finished off the mods to spanners engine xmember. I removed the 10mm spacers he added to drop it and added some holes to the underside of it for easier nut access for the engine mounts.

E3_028.jpg

E3_030.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

modified the gearbox mounts as there was to much sideplay with only one tube spacer. I now have some bent steel with some side support to stop twist, now held in place by two bolts and a chassis boot plate. May yet require a drivers side support out to the chassis rail but will see once the gearbox is mounted to it.

E3_033.jpg

Also got my shortened and modified drive shaft back today

E3_031.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

And here is my modified KP60 Starlet Tank. I replaced the factory sender unit with the Altezzas 2nd Fuel Level Sender unit. This only required drilling out the top plate to the right PCD. I also decided to add the Altezza 2 way roll over breather pipe to the top of the tank. I made up a blanking plate to cap off the old outlet which is no longer used as the fuel now goes out via the custom extension and the factory Altezza pump/ fuel sender combo. What you cant see is that I also have the Altezza fuel surge pot inside the tank and the rubber pipe that normally runs off the pump to suck gas from the other side of the tank now sits nice and low by the drain plug to aid filling the pot as the starlet tank is not flat bottomed.

E3_039.jpg

The second pick shows the tank fitted up. Only a couple of small changes required for the fuel piping and then a bracket to hold the top in place as I have no wheel well now to hold it in place and its done.

E3_040.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

A bigger gearbox means the need for a bigger drive tunnel. Having already cut the factory tunnel and firewall I finally made up a new top plate to the firewall. All I need to do now is to fill in the corners of the firewall and make up the top section for the gearstick.

E3_042.jpg

E3_043.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

also needed to re-add a fuel filler as the certer advised me I couldnt fill the fuel tank inside the car and the modified starlet tank above needed to go to the outside anyways.

E3_050.jpg

added a panel section from a ke36 corolla

E3_051.jpg

and added the filler neck

E3_065.jpg

and while I was at it I repainted the side of the car and removed the decals.

E3_092.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

engine all but done. final wiring locations completed

E3_084.jpg

and the altezza dash is actually smaller than the starlets one.

E3_037.jpg

and required few mods to fit inside the shrouds

E3_100.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

old 15"x7" Outlaws now fitted with 195/50/15 (for circuit work and skid days)

E3_106.jpg

new rims for the road (17"x7.5" +4 Offset Rota RB's with 205/40/17)

E3_107.jpg

and off the blocks

E3_109.jpg

Guest 20vkp61

Adding coilovers to the rear was one of the last parts before certing could be done.

A couple of body mods were required by LVVTA for cerfication. I needed to stich weld the rear strut top both inside and outside (Pics 1, 2, 3) and to add a bar between the towers to stop any inwards flexing (Pics 2, 4). While I was at it I pushed the strut top out 7mm to give the coil overs a little more clearance to the inside strut housing. I could have tied the strut tops into the rollcage but that would require rehomologating the cage which is a bigger hassle again

Starlet_E3_112.jpg

Starlet_E3_113.jpg

Starlet_E3_115.jpg

Starlet_E3_114.jpg

The certifier also wanted me to drill out the lower mount and fit a high tensile bolt just incase the weld on mount gave way

Starlet_E3_116.jpg

Starlet_E3_117.jpg