RAT040 build, 1969 Corona RT40 13B ratspec

mccrazy13

Discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/37176-mccrazys-13b-rt40-corona/

Whats up,

Thought I would throw up a few pics and a story about my 1969 toyota corona RT40.

Ok so I scored the car for $550 off Ebay over here in Brisbane, picked the car up from Goldcoast.

First I did all the rust repairs, ball joints and suspension.

Then de-loomed the engine bay while it was running the 1.5L rat port power plant.

Then scored an 18RG set up which went in for 2 months but the RG just didnt cut the mustard so out it cam and in went a 13B 6 port engine from a series 4 RX7 with 51mm IDA weber.

The mazda power plant is far better than the RG, front end was to heavy with the boat anchor RG.

With the 13B conversion it needed a lot more cutting to make fit.

custom transmission tunnel and also notching of the front crossmember.

Reversed sump and a custom pick up made

The set up is:

1988 13B 6 port with aux port inserts removed

51mm IDA

Series 2 RX7 electronic dizzy

Gilmer drive

EL falcon alternator

Goss fuel pump

Holley reg

3/8 fuel lines

2" extractors into 2 3/4" through 2 mufflers

Series 1 RX7 gearbox

Custom 3" drive shaft

Standard RT40 diff welded up - still deciding what diff set up to run

imag0073g.jpg

imag0072tl.jpg

copyofcopyofimag0071.jpg

img0960c.jpg

img0981x.jpg

img0991is.jpg

imagekpi.jpg

imagehcyo.jpg

imageqka.jpg

img1359qe.jpg

img1370by.jpg

img2138es.jpg

img2438z.jpg

img2444q.jpg

img3510a.jpg

img3518zx.jpg

img3523pz.jpg

rat0402.jpg

img3547xb.jpg

streetmachine.png

acacia8.jpg

acacia5.jpg

img3610.jpg

img3650sb.jpg

img4391oa.jpg

img4405t.jpg

img4435g.jpg

img4444vr.jpg

p2030223.jpg

p2030233.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mccrazy13

Ok so trying to decide what diff and front and rear suspension and brake set up to run

Currently have standard borgwarner welded up, 3" blocks and standard TC Gemini springs in front with standard drums all round no booster

There is a few options I'm think of when I choose a diff.

Running reset leafs and additional blocks to drop it for show days and a second set of super low Gemini springs to swap out for show days up front keeping drum brake set up

Running leafs with majority of leafs removed and airbags, I think they call it air over leaf set up and bags in the front with new shock mounts, find standard rt40 or rt80 discs, bigger master cylinder possibly booster.

Running 4 link, small notch and bags but can also swap out bags with coil overs, make custom upper and lower control arms for front running shockwave bag over shock set up and can swap out bags with coils fit booster,bigger master cylinder, hilux spindles and discs.

I'm thinking just go for the last option so can run bags and coils.

Can fit coils and remove air set up so when I get defect as bags are a no go in QLD also coilovers will be the buisness for track day or strip missions.

Diff options I'm looking at:

1) early RN hilux Pre rn27

2) MK2 corona 6cyl version

3) Alfa 105 GTV

4) Fiat 132

5) shortened hilux from later model

6)Volvo 240

If anyone knows of a solid diff upgrade then I'm all ears trying to stay away from shortening one as I don't like paying people to do stuff hahaha.

If anyone has a diff for sale in qld that will do the job let me know.

After a fair bit of research the fiat 132 diff is top choice so far width is bang on and they are cheap and fairly easy to find, they use them a bit in race cars apparently and super strong.

Pretty keen on making the custom control arms, haven't done it before but looks pretty easy.

Just make a jig to suit then fab them up, bend up some thick wall stainless tube, get engineer to make stainless ball joint and bush recievers , couple gussets, bag and coilover mounts hopefully both will use same mounts.

Anybody made control arms before?

I'm picking up another RT40 complete front end so I can do all fab work and test fitting without pulling RAT040 off the road until I need to do start cutting the ass out.

Also I really want to roof chop it 3" or so but that can wait till the above has been sorted!!!

• 6 months later...