4G63 box to 4G32 engine

OSM Garage

Clutch would be the same I assume, what car are we talking? I have no knowlegde of codes, be it chassis or engine.

RWD no worries but could have different shifter lenghs or different ways the shifter fits in, FWD heaps of differences possible from mounting points to c.v shaft size, whether it has vacuum operated 5th gear etc etc.

If its ex Lancer then I used to do it all the time with our rental cars, they needed 5 speed and turbo headlights (to replace stock candles) before entering service. It was a long time ago but can't remember any dramas.

4G63 narrowbody and 4G32 have the same bellhousing pattern so no problems actually bolting the gearbox to the engine. The 4G32 flywheel is 5 bolt while the 4G63 is 6 bolt (or 7 bolt if later model). You will need to use the 4G32 flywheel. I am sure the clutch discs use the same spline count (they are basically the same diameter and spline count from the 70s through to early 90s) - it's just the clutch diameter which generally differs. You will be limited to whatever clutch the 4G32 uses. I think a 4G37 has a larger diameter flywheel but you would need to machine out a hole for the spigot bearing to sit into as 4G37s don't come RWD.

So it looks like the clutch plate is going to be an issue. From what I gather off the Exedy website, the 4G32 clutch plate is 200mm OD with 20 spline and the 4G63's are 215/220mm OD with 23 spline.

Any one know of a Mitsubishi clutch plate that is 23 spline but is 200mm OD?

Custom clutch possibly?

Theres a mitsi clutch that works, i thaught it may have been the 4g52 or somthing from the older chaindrive days, but fuck if i can remember what it was. ive talked to a few guys before that have put the stronger sigma 5sp behind worked up 4g32s So its definitely doable. Although a custom clutch isnt to expensive.

What do the later model turbo 4g32s etc use as a clutch?

maybe you can machine the face of the 4G32 flywheel to accept the 215mm clutch disc and use a 4G63 pressure plate?

MBD006U is the 200x120x20T clutch plate yet you say the 2L Sigma/L200 etc uses the same plate above?

• 8 years later...