spiderwebfx's '85 Silvia S12

spiderwebfx

Cars all back together now.  Took it for a drive, everything seems good.  Brake caliper brackets were perfect. Diff seems to make less noise than it used to.  And the speedo is only about 4% off actual speed instead of 18% (blaming the tyre size for that).

I have noticed the rear springs seem to be making noise as if it's moving around.  I think it's always been there, just more noticeable since all the other noises and vibrations have been reduced.  Does anyone know if you can get springs that are tapered? So the bottom diameter is 65mm, but the top 80mm and 200mm long.  I'm thinking of running something like that and putting the factory rubber bushes back on the top of them.  (Springs are currently steel on steel.)

Anyway, apart from that, car is going good.  I'm making a plan to take a decent photo of it on Sunday.

• Like 1

Back at it with the spring and shock issue again now.  Everything is working, but I don't like it.  Steel springs straight onto steel on the chassis are getting a tad annoying.  So I've got the OEM rubber mounts and the springs with an engineer to make me some adapters so they can work together.   This seems like a better idea than a tapered spring and will get them sitting on a more ideal axis.  

Photo of the current spring angle (note both mounts are level, so spring is being forced into an angle.)

DSC_1075.jpg

What the goal with the adaptor is;

DSC_1078.jpg

I may end up having to get some slightly shorter springs as well to help reduce the stroke.  (200mm length has a little too much for the height it is sitting at.)

I'm also having some weird things going on with my fuel pump, maybe someone has experienced it before?

Car has a genuine Walbro 255lph pump with a 12v relayed power supply.  When you first start the car up everything sounds fine.  Go for a good spirited drive, hop out of the car, the fuel pump sounds like it's whining.  Turn the car off and back on again, it goes back to normal.  Any idea on this?

• Like 1