mechanical engineer salery?

grunta

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guess it's the OS way. if we had more cash we wouldnt even have better cars, just more cars that dont go.

nowt wrong with that. I see the new census forms even account for number of cars - including those off the road but will be on again soon...

I can only speak for myself.

I have a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering with Honors.

I had a very average GPA.

I have completed one year of my graduate program at one of australasia's biggest wood products companies.

I started on $55.5K and half since moved up to a comfortable $62 with another payrise overdue.

I think an engineer is some with a a degree, BA etc. where as if you have a certificate then you should really be calling your self some thing like a 'mechanical workshop engineer' And then on top of that you could add 'trained in fitting/turning or fabraction' etc etc. im currently doing my 2nd year mechanical engineering (certificate), 1st year was a bit of everything. then i got a job in hydraulic engineering after one year study but doing my certificate in fitting and turning which also covers diagnostics and maintenance haha. im on $15 p/h, but someone like my foreman whos has been doing it for about 7 years (including his 3-4 year apprenticeship) is on $65-70k per year.

i also have to take into consideration that if i do my apprenticeship through my current company then thats another 14ish k over the next 2 years that they'll pay for so that bumps my hourly rate to approx $18.5 p/h before tax. Just an xample of other things you have to take into consideration .

Re discussion about what is an engineer, I like the following from Wiki. Doesn't really matter your qualification because I know BE/ME/PhD guys that couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag, yet also know trade qualified guys that could build a fully fuctioning spaceship.

An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical problems. Engineers design materials, structures and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, safety and cost.

Strictly speaking an engineer should be someone with a degree or higher diploma, a technician would have a NZCE/Diploma and a Fitter/Welder/Electrician/Lineman would have a trade cert IMHO but it depends on the type of work they are doing.

A lot of people get worked up about the status thing associated with being an "engineer" and don't like being confused with someone that welds/fabricates/repairs things, etc.

BTW - I'm a professional electrical engineer who looks after high voltage power systems. I don't give a shit what people call me because I'm comfortable in what I do / my status in life... it does fuck me off when people think I'm an electrician and want me to wire their house up though.

• Like 1

To me:

Engineer = Uni degree, designs stuff/manages projects etc

Tradesman = Carries out practical work (but has engineering qualification i.e. apprenticeship)

Im a tradesman with Electrical Engineering Level 4 and Industrial Measurement and Control Level 4 qualifications (apprenticeship x2) and earn just over double what I was at the end of my second apprenticeship which was between $15 & $20 p/h.

Just remember one thing. Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean you can't do really well in the 'engineering' world.

Some of the smartest, most on to it and knowledgable guys I work with have no diploma or degree (one I think of usually in this scenario was in shipping, then boiler making etc and he could fuck you up with technical and practical knowledge).

Now I get to throw out my new mantra (as per spam last night).

Technically sound, practically impossible. (as in technical don't mean a thing if you can't make it happen)

To me:

Engineer = Uni degree, designs stuff/manages projects etc

Tradesman = Carries out practical work (but has engineering qualification i.e. apprenticeship)

Im a tradesman with Electrical Engineering Level 4 and Industrial Measurement and Control Level 4 qualifications (apprenticeship x2) and earn just over double what I was at the end of my second apprenticeship which was between $15 & $20 p/h.

looks like you do exactly what i do (im an instrumentation serviceman at nz steel)

do you work nordske skog?

There is merit in that idea, but there are a lot of people (like myself and a number of people I know) who grew up doing practical/engineering tasks, playing with cars, I worked for an engineering company making agricultural machines as a student, etc. This gives a good grounding and practical abilities that transfer over.

A lot of engineers become engineers simply because they are good at maths and science and get good grades, but couldn't use their hands to build anything. Most degrees have a "practical component" but this sometimes isn't enough if they've never set foot in a workshop before.

There is a place for both in engineering.

This has gone way off topic from the OP

• Like 1