mechanical engineer salery?

grunta

wow, an education really gets you up the ladder these days....not

Those are starting rates, usually like internships, positions created for graduates to keep learning.

I've just graduated and I'm on a bit more than those rates but I work for a small/medium company so I'm the lead engineer haha there isn't much of a ladder left to climb here.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a qualified fitter turner but working as maintence and diagnostics.some weeks I do over 80 hrs. Lots of travel around the country. I qualified and went to 23. Now on a bit less than 30. Next job I take will be over 40 per hour.

I get away allowances when away from home( tax free to cover food and drink)

At my last job the fitter of 15 years was on less than I'm on now.

You HAVE to ask people in the industry to find areas that pay well ( mining and dairy) and then chase the job you want. Do volunteer work if you have to.

Ps. Site maintenance engineers probably only do 20% actual work. 80% waiting for stuff to break and being ready to get dirty when it does.

Oh... And attitude is EVERYTHING! door knock, be over enthusiastic, ask an endless mountain of questions etc

Whats the difference between a Fitter / Turner and a Mechanical Engineer?

I noticed recently a lot of people that i think would have been historically worked under the title of Fitter / Turner are now using the title Mechanical Engineer...

Kinda like people shifting from mechanic to automotive engineer... although a proper automotive engineer is a different kettle of fish...

Those are starting rates, usually like internships, positions created for graduates to keep learning.

I've just graduated and I'm on a bit more than those rates but I work for a small/medium company so I'm the lead engineer haha there isn't much of a ladder left to climb here.

phew.. i would shit bricks if id spent alot time and money on a degree or whatever and end up earning shit all.

i was offered an adult apprenticeship last week on $20/hr doing the exact same thing I am now.

so a $4/hr cut, but end up qual'd in 2 years, I could easily smash out my apprenticeship early.

but then id only end up earning what im on now which is actually bloody good for a bike mechanic.

MITO has said i can do my apprenticeship where I am, so I may end up doing that myself.

just for the tick in the box,cert on the wall, look official and all.

ive also been confused about all these different titles etc.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that you can do a certificate, diploma or degree in any of the areas of engineering. People then become a 'mechanical engineer' despite the level of qualification they have earned. The lower ends (like grunta and myself) just refer to ourselves as engineers :D while the higher end always seems to say something aling the lines of 'bachelor of engineering/degree' etc

I think there's also various levels of the certificate, diploma and degree, just to add further confusion. A good idea when looking at qualifications is to talk to people in the industy to find what they'd expect to see and where various quals will get you.

The system keeps changing its titles. My certificates say mechanical engineer- fitter turner.

But m&d/ fitter/ whatever is irrelevant to a large extent- it matters more what your previous experience has been.

Ps. Apprentice here was cocky when he started as he has done a whole lot of engineering at uni. He was having a whaaa about how he didn't need to do what we said because he had a higher qual than us.

I said if ur so good why are you undoing that bolt the wrong way.

He's a good as cunt... Just took a whole to figure out that uni is not a total replacement for actual on job hands on experience.

I think trying to ask for what other companies pay is the wrong approach.

If I was asking for a payrise I would read through your contract and job description and tell them all the things you do beyond your job description an that your role has expanded etc and that you are the bomb at making shit

I'm going to get hounded for this comment (I only bring it up as a discussion point) as there's a shitload of OSGCs that probably consider themselves engineers but in my eyes an engineer is someone who has a degree - a bachelors degree. Below that you have diplomas, certificates, etc etc. Maybe 'professional engineer' is a better term for someone with a degree.

This doesn't help you whatsoever but graduates coming out of Auckland Uni with a bachelor of engineering (mechanical) are currently getting $40-50k. This is after a 4 year degree and a student loan of $40k+ if your parents didn't pay for it.

• Like 2