Ned's 7K Drop Hatch Starlet

Ned

turbo will always work better than charger, if you use the right turbo. charger just wins in the initial response, and low low in rpm. but 7k ina a kp, should be no issues there anyway! but agree bike carbs will be cooler than a boosted setup

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it ran on bike carbs today!

Not well, but it ran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, some issues that i need some input on...

too much fuel pressure.... what fuel pressure do bike carbs like? i keep reading different shit online. Some places say as low as 1PSI, most say 3 and some say up to 5 or even 7.

I have no idea what pressure it's running ATM, but its a mechanical fuel pump off a carbed K series.

So should i run pressure reg or find a 3psi (or whatever is needed) fuel pump. With an adjustable reg, i can fine tune it. I dont want the overflow to piss out fuel like it did on its first run, as it has a hot exhaust right underneath it. Any deas where i can get one from today? Doesnt HAVE to be cheap, but it needs to work well. dont want car catching fire on the way to nats, as its not covered for fire damage :P

Anyone had success at making/soldering their own throttle cables? this would be the time to give me some good pointers and places to go to get bits from etc :)

Pretty sure thats all it needs, decent fuel pressure, throttle and then tune with wideband and kick some 4AGE butts at the track day :D

Phone went flat from all the phone calls today, so no real pics sorry :( Hopefully tomorrow/today :)

Guest shaneo

I picked up a low psi 1-4psi Electric fuel pump from part master $90 does the trick. I used a brass welding tip for the end of my cable just cut it down and filed it up. If you need a balance tool PM me as you will need them balanced.

Guest Rookie

Just go to a motorbike shop, they have all the ferrels and shit. get a butane torch and some plumbing solder and you will be sweet.

• Like 1

This is about all I can be bothered posting tonight. Needs heaps more work... Guess I'm not leaving tomorrow like planned.... Will be worth it though :-D

I'm lost.

Upped the jets, and they are at 2.1mm now!! Which is fucking huge but still lean as shit at WOT (like 19-20)

Runs a lot better, but unsure if I should Drill the jets out even more... The emulsion jet isn't much bigger, so unsure what's going on now :-/

Fixed exhaust leak that was there with new gasket and gasket goo as well. Haven't checked plugs since last 2 jet changes but had 3 black ones from running rich, and 1 normal, maybe eve lean plugs as well. Thing is, it does seem to run better every time I up the jet size.

Have spare jets, so might just go a couple sizes bigger again and see what happens...?

Guest alfalfa

Do this. Completely different engine but when we were tuning the Sachs & Tohatsu we had jet sizes that seemed giant. The Tohatsu uses a 1.6 main jet ffs! So yeah, go bigger

Wow, that's huge!

I'll run it without jets and see if it goes rich. If it does, I'll keep drilling, if it doesn't, I'll check wideband and swap it over and recalibrate. If its still lean, I'll give up.

Guest mjrstar

Block off the air correction. you should not need a jet that big IMVLO mine went from epic lean to much better simply by blocking one of the larger holes on the air filter side (air correction) which is used for balancing when you have an airbox (i think) Roll up and earplug or use some tape etc.

Best i can figure is Air correction basically feeds air up the tube rather than sucking fuel from the bowl, drilling jets out bigger will make only minor differences..

Also a good check is to raise the needles by hand and give it a rev, this will tell you if you jetting is undersize.

IMLO = In My very Limited Opinion.

Block off the air correction. you should not need a jet that big IMVLO mine went from epic lean to much better simply by blocking one of the larger holes on the air filter side (air correction) which is used for balancing when you have an airbox (i think) Roll up and earplug or use some tape etc.

Also a good check is to raise the needles by hand and give it a rev, this will tell you if you jetting is undersize.

roll up and earplug or use some tape etc..

IMLO = In My very Limited Opinion.

yeh most shit I read says block air correction thingys