Ned's 7K Drop Hatch Starlet

Ned

Hey guys, discuss away!

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36476-neds-7k-drop-hatch-starlet/

#trying something

Hi all,

as some of you know, i have purchased another KP. Bought it last year and did little to nothing to it thanks to some mad hours at work.

This year it's time to spend some money on the old girl to get her up to my standards!

Some pics of my first trip away (thanks snoozin for the lending of the bike etc!)

20120629_113949.jpg

20120629_114009.jpg

IMG_20130128_143506.jpg

So i bought some bits;

IMG_20130202_160044.jpg

IMG_20130202_160059.jpg

IMG_20130202_160036.jpg

IMG_20130202_160007.jpg

The plan is to fit the bike carbs, tidy up the engine bay, fix the rust, tidy up the interior.

Deadline for these is about 70 days from now for OS Nationals 2013 :)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1, cool work. kiwi ingenuity!

dutch courage more like it. Ned, we should hava race with your starlet vs my van. I'm ken for bike carbs aswel to forever rid my van of stupid emissions spec carb and autochoke etc. So yeh when you make manifold plz make two

good to see your kp project in progress finally neil! nice write up :)

when i looked into this... found the later alts have a different shaft size than the K, R and T series engines so swapping pullies wasn't a bolt in.. but there's surely one somewhere that works.

a rattle gun would make short work of that alternator nut for next time too. (like go local garage).

i had a rattle gun, but didn't get my compressor until yesterday haha.

The shafts on the two were the same size, and you could have used a washer under the pulley as well i assume... may have to turn down the weird centre bit so the nut fits on still but it was all the same size more or less.

Next is the ignition. Cam is kindly donating a MS2 to the cause and i have that EDIS-4 setup from PaP. I'm still thinking i'll just put some drives in the MS2 to not need the ford controller and let the MS2 do my timing etc so that i can still do rev limiter etc. Anyone see any downsides to that at all?

I was looking for some COP setups as well, but they are all super big/long. Has anyone shortened the COP things? as in most cars the spark plug is way down into the head, but on a KP 1/2 the plug sticks out the block so don't wanna put massive long coils on them. Unsure if the all do or just the BMW ones i looked at in detail, but the shaft unplugs so surely it should be possible to maybe make them smaller? or possibly turn up some sort of thing goes on the bottom of the coil instead of the shaft? unsure if any of this makes any sense though, sorry haha