toy-mota 1971 toyota ms65 crown

toy-mota

Ah man, that sucks! Mine was really close as well. But the automatic must have slightly smaller dimensions because we were able to massage it in. It must be easier to lower the front, than raise the back. I had bell housing clearance issues if I went any higher at the back. And I'm guessing you'll be in the same position? There's also bonnet clearance to think about, but without the 'over the head' intake plenum in favour of ITBs maybe that's not an issue?

Looks like you need to come down an inch or so. That'll be a much smaller crank pulley wheel, might be worth looking into? Maybe an upgraded bearing to take the extra revs?

Is notching the sway bar an option? Adding a new mount to the cross member in the middle to cut down on the added flex? 

Classic build problem. "Nearly there. Just push this into place and......        ....wait, what's that? Why isn't that....? Oh FUCK! FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you,

Easily move the motor back 25mm?

Lower the sway bar?

Remove the sway bar?

motor can not move back any further as the tps sensor on the itbs hit the firewall

i have a ms112 swaybar turn up this week as they drop down in the center so that should clear some room

can you remove swaybars????

Ah man, that sucks! Mine was really close as well. But the automatic must have slightly smaller dimensions because we were able to massage it in. It must be easier to lower the front, than raise the back. I had bell housing clearance issues if I went any higher at the back. And I'm guessing you'll be in the same position? There's also bonnet clearance to think about, but without the 'over the head' intake plenum in favour of ITBs maybe that's not an issue?

Looks like you need to come down an inch or so. That'll be a much smaller crank pulley wheel, might be worth looking into? Maybe an upgraded bearing to take the extra revs?

Is notching the sway bar an option? Adding a new mount to the cross member in the middle to cut down on the added flex?

the w58 is well up in there with just enough room ,and your right 25mm it needs to drop on the front.

i have done abit of googling on using an aftermarket pulley,seems to be no cons but alot of people seem to favour the factory damper,so il try and leave it.

the crossmember itself is a two piece shaped channel around 180mm wide so im hoping just a 25mm cut out the front replaced with some 3mm steel should work,maybe email a certifier?

You could cut the fire wall.

I think you can remove the sway bar legally, check with who ever is going to cert it first.

Chamberlains in town make custom sway bars, you could get one made with a big step in it to clear the pulley. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey man, unsure if this is relevant to you but have you checked you have the engine mounts on the correct sides as there is a driver's side and passenger side and if they are the wrong way around the engine sits too far forward (with jz-g mounts anyway)

Edit:ignore, have just read above it can't go back any further

You could cut the fire wall.

I think you can remove the sway bar legally, check with who ever is going to cert it first.

Chamberlains in town make custom sway bars, you could get one made with a big step in it to clear the pulley. 

+1 for chamberlains.. they made the 27mm swaybar for my 121, perfect fit and while you're there get them to make it bigger for less body roll.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 20:37, scooters said:

You made mention that you got some chrome out of the philippines. 

Is it lying around in bulk over there or something? 

The monsoons? Na a guy there makes them for ke70s but i sent him a template and he made them

10 hours ago, toy-mota said:

The monsoons? Na a guy there makes them for ke70s but i sent him a template and he made them

Well thats pritty handy. Im always gob smacked by the service you can get out of china and indon. @Willdat? was saying they will go down to the local market and shop about to get the bits he wanted. Try get someone to do that in NZ

• 6 months later...

Just spotted this. Sweet car. Like to put in a vote for twin round headlight front in case you haven't already decided which one to use. Reckon the rectangular lights don't look quite right with the sweet curves of everything else but hey your car so whatever eh cos you have to live with it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, toy-mota said:

With installing itbs, i needed to run an aircleaner. Im not a fan of socks and the SQ Eng trumpets dont allow individual socks to be fitted. Keeping with the theme of the factory look. I made an aircleaner. I copied the original 4m box in the way that it seals and the lid clips on. Although large ,it lets me keep the trumpets. 

All thought out and made by myself, with hand tools,shrinker/stretcher and a beadroller. 

Can anyone guess what the lid was made from?

A6B6EB93-A7FF-4D8F-9CBC-EF8A9809CA7C.jpeg

D58C6B78-9DCB-4372-A907-CCFA3D066F09.jpeg

DC38F323-D0D7-44DA-A1D5-431B866E47C3.jpeg

Nice work! I Guess must be.... a cut out from toyota fj40 tool box lip.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...