toy-mota 1971 toyota ms65 crown

toy-mota

scored some parts off an early super saloon in the weekend,what was left of it!! some black interior trim to finish it off and these sick badges

i love the detail in the badge,i also have the side pillar ones but theyll need fixing as there tarnished

IMG_7907_zpshe51cmy4.jpg

IMG_7908_zpsowcvman6.jpg

i now have a wee collection of fuel flaps,all but one are cracked,standard,deluxe and super saloon and a ms55 deluxe badge i could put on my spare flap

IMG_7912_zpsg4euyvbw.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended up going back to the wrecker and raiding the last of the supersallon bits off the car .i now have a full factory black interior and various bits of more chrome.also scored another diff and housing which i will convert to disc brake and a estima diff that bolts straight in.My short shifter from oz turned up and reduces the shift by up to 50% looks and works great on the newly reconditioned w57.motor is now in the hole.just need to fab up some engine and gearbox mounts.sump misses the cross member and steering linkage but the front damper pulley is touching the sway bar.Am i aloud to cut and add in a new section?. ITBs clear everything which was my main concern,and shell be tight up where the radiator goes.

IMG_8022_zpse3qttwot.jpg

Cube short shifter

IMG_8023_zpsbyjjpndk.jpg

IMG_8036_zpsa5jtmnbm.jpg

IMG_8055_zpssq9fbpmq.jpg

IMG_8054_zpsoetkikhn.jpg

IMG_8050_zpsldpgmzzi.jpg

IMG_8048_zpsr2uyrfyn.jpg

IMG_8046_zpsus9kat73.jpg

IMG_8047_zpspn9rcxye.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Small progress lately.Mounts are getting sorted.Motor is going to be a tight fit all round as i want the shifter to line up in the factory hole so no cutting of the interior has to happen.a slight sump mod may be needed and swap bar will have to change.Also complete dash out of a ms75sl Japan only turned up from Japan.so now i have nice round gauges and a factory rev gauge.Re-painted the dash and have it fitted,just need to change the plug to suit.

Old square style dash,found in most 60 series crowns

IMG_8167_zpsl6bjnsie.jpg

New much rarer dash

IMG_8179_zpspza1gxo3.jpg

IMG_8168_zpsvy7ddcy6.jpg

IMG_8169_zpsikzxhpzr.jpg

Also i am changing the headlining to a mint condition factory black as mine is stained and gray.Also likes to pop down when going over 100km

IMG_8172_zpsw803izba.jpg

IMG_8173_zpsgtbjgjcu.jpg

Might try get that in next weekend.The sides of the headlining are glued,under the trim edging.Will Ados be ok to re glue or is there a better glue?

Thanks

matt

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Abit of an update since its been 6months.Life has changed a tad for me now with having a baby on the way. The crowns have had to take a back seat as i renovate the house and get baby things,but it is a boy!!! so i may need to order a small tig torch so he can help dad finish his cars.I have been hording more bits,manged to score complete front and rear disc brakes off a ms112,it came with brake booster/cylinder and powersteer setup too,unsure if i should run it yet tho.Also have load adjusting shocks on the way for the front,should calm the whale down.Managed to get that factory black hood lining up,30mins in the sun to soften and work quickly to stretch it into place.so now the interior is all factory black and should be rolling in Japanese mafia spec fashion when its all done.have sussed a shorter shifter position and notched sump (from MATTTS crown) as the jz was too far foward,so when all the bits are here i can finally mount the thing.

IMG_8767_zpsp3yro12y.jpg

IMG_8778_zpswdxfsipl.jpg

IMG_8790_zpstmsradx2.jpg

oh and the wagon,thats just awaiting its turn,i am on a hunt to find parts,proving to be a challenge.all i have scored is a 'custom' badge

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So have reached a bit of a problem this weekend trying to get mounts made for the engine.The notched sump is on and the motor is pushed back to where i want it now.Slight problem being that the motor its uphill.The gearbox is as far up as it can go so only other way is to to go down at the front but the damper pulley is touching the cross member.I have thought of replacing the pulley with a much small alloy one or notching a section out of the cross member.i did a search on OS for 2jz conversions and know one else seems to be having this issue.The sway bar should be fine, the motor needs to go back slightly in the pic.

any ideas would be helpful //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36351-toy-mota-1971-toyota-ms65-crown/

IMG_8830_zps0le00kiy.jpg

IMG_8828_zpsqhwzjr8x.jpg

IMG_8829_zpstn67l5dr.jpg

IMG_8834_zpsr9qltma7.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So after a long weekend i shoulve ripped into this,i planned to but nothing happened other than pushing it outside for a wash.I have been in touch with the certifier in chch and told him that i would like to notch out the cross member,he has told me to go through the LVVTAs design approval process.So this weekend il be drawing up pictures of what i want to do and hopefully they come through and say i can do it.I have fitted the ms112 swaybar which is slightly longer than a ms65 one but it has the bend in it i need to clear the engine,also 16mm spacers needed to be made for it to line up.

IMG_8928_zps4yw0qaj1.jpg

IMG_8930_zpsno6zpflg.jpg

IMG_0611_zpsos3yvzdp.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Design approval is all drawn up,just waiting for the LVVTA to come back with a plan.This weekend ive mounted the powersteer unit,but that wasnt without its own dramas.After abit of internet research i needed the ms112 steering column just for the end 'T' piece as the steering box is longer on the power model.

IMG_0719_zpsgdl5g3xc.jpg

Abit of a walk through for people who may want to do the conversion

If your lucky enough to get a whole ms112,get the steering column,pump,steering box and lines.

1.take out the column from the ms6* .it needs to be completely stripped down,now is a good time to repack the steering bearings with grease (word of caution,the bottom bearing has about 40 small ball bearings,whack it out to hard the balls go everywhere ).

2.removing the ms112 end 'T' piece is alot easier,just undo the end circlip and pull it out

IMG_0727_zps0seakiyr.jpg

3. the two end 'T' pieces that attach to the steering box from the column.ms65 is alot longer

IMG_0728_zpsnbicxewm.jpg

4.now put the end 'T' piece into the ms65 shaft.this is quite fiddly .

5.when fitting the steering unit the bottom arms need to be swaped over.the arms are on a tapered spline and will need to be pressed off,i used my works 50ton press but a small shop press should do it.also note the location were the arms were facing as the steering unit doesn't rotate 360.

pretty much it,i think next time ill take photos of the process but any questions im more than happy to help.

better pic for thread,a bunch of rusty crowns 2x ms65s and a crushed ms75

IMG_0702_zps5zu7nh5h.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Small amounts of progress lately.LVVTA have approved my crossmember cutout design.Engine and box are back out,just need to fold up the piece at work and add it in hopefully next weekend.I have fully rebuilt the ms112 rear end with new seals,bearings,bushes and paint.looks rather tidy.Everything from the ms65 lined up with the new diff (panhard,trailing arms) i just need to make mounts for the swaybar.Only issue so far is im using the ms65 handbrake cable and its about 30mm to short,im thinking of adding in a extension to the cable.

IMG_9181_zpsmgy7wrrz.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

With holidays comes actually time to get stuck in and work on this thing.Its been nothing but problems lately but i have been working though them.I had notched the JZ rear sump and made the engine/gearbox mounts but i wasn't happy with how it was sitting,the steering was only mills away from hitting.I tracked down a crown JZ mid sump,notched the front corners.Everything misses but needed to make another set of mounts.happy with the result ,so now i can get onto making the exhaust,alternator bracket and do all the other small fiddly bits.I hope to go into work tomorrow and push in the new Superpro polyurethane bushes for the ms112 front suspension arms and give it all a nice coat of paint.

IMG_0173_zpswern4bwv.jpg

IMG_0178_zpsu9uctlha.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Progress is slow,didnt even get to touch it over the xmas break.

fuel tank is out so i can weld in a boss for a return line.the filler neck should be fine? Looks like the tank has been out in the past as theres lush 1950s carpet as a cushion .

front panels are going together and sorting through the factory loom and engine loom. Been playing around with headlights/grilles. I finally managed to get a export early supersalon grille which is diecast,extremely heavy for what it is.scored a nos badge off TM for it too.

or

i have a jdm front.i need to make headlight buckets and surrounds but i love the look

progess on the steel aircleaner housing is going great,just the lid left to make which is also the hardest. The inlet is on the underside pointing towards the radiator which also has a filter.all made by hand with hammers,dollys,shrinker/stretchers and custom dies on the bead roller 

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

• Like 9

Since it has been so long from an update, the breaks and clutch were bleed.Techinco cams fitted and dialled in,the engine builder said that this motor will have a wicked lump to it at idle. Major bits left is purchase an Ecu,fuel pump and get it wired.somehow i dont think this will be done for toyotafest in cromwell like i hoped.

IMG_2420.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...