MRWEST's 73 British Piece!

MRWEST

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36599-mrwest-bmc-1300/

Was down in one of the old mans sheds the other day and found our old car sitting around.

1973 Morris 1300, Even luxury auto spec!

Has been in the family since new, mum learnt to drive in it as it was her grandmothers.

Has only 25,000 miles since new and in the early 2000's my olds were using it as our 2nd car so I did quite a bit of driving round the farm in it as well!

Its still pretty mint, orange body is straight as, black vinyl interior still mint as.

So cause i dont have already enough to do with the 64 :rolleyes: tui and i feel its a crime for it to sit there and be unused/unloved im going to have a go at getting it back on the road and rock around in for a laugh.

Will get the engine running again and then take for a wof see what it needs (grandad has been keepign on hold). If not too much ill sort it out and get on the road!!

No pics yet, will take some next time at olds, thread is method of motivation to make it happen !!!

• 3 weeks later...

So went down and had a look at it this arvo attempt to get it going. From memory the electronic fuel pump had shit itself, sure enough when trying to start pump wasnt working.

Motor has solid spark still and oil and only needed a small amount of water to top up radiator.

Has a smashed rear tail light n blown out tyre, will put the spare on once its going and take for a WOF see what else it needs before we buy to much for it.

Need to track down a pump to get it going so thats the first mission.

Theres some pics of the outside for you all!

IMG_8699Large_zps68f00b0d.jpg

IMG_8700Large_zps0bec338b.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Right so finally got my shit sorted now the sheds up and dragged it home tonight.

Had a good look over its pretty solid still. Underside needs a wirewheel and a reunderseal and itl get rid of all the surface rust. The whole things solid as.

It sat in a shed for 10 years before it was revinned in 1993 and then basically sat in a shed till 2000 when the olds got it wofd and used it for a couplel of years before it went back into the shed and has sat since.

List of Jobs

- Install new fuel pump and make sure it runs sweet

-Replace smashed tail light with the one some OS GC gave me

-Wirewheel and underseal underside

-Clean out and vacuum

-WOF Insepction find out what I need if anything

Enought talking pics for fred

20131211_182253Large_zps4e6a2521.jpg

1300 Powerhorse

20131211_203116Large_zps860aedf6.jpg

2002 Wof Sticker!

20131211_182259Large_zps0a701f75.jpg

20131211_203128Large_zpsa5e50a62.jpg

20131211_203220Large_zpsd2c62c7f.jpg

http://oldschool.co....rwest-bmc-1300/ yarn away fellas

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So have been bevering away at this in the spare moments.

Have had it on the hoist and checked it over, essentially no major rust under the car has never had a patch in its life by the looks!! Benefit of being in a shed its whole life i guess.

Underside was pretty filthy and surface rustyish so stripped it but was nothing major thankfully, couple of coats of underseal and its good  to go.

Have got new tyres coming so am getting the rims sandblasted and painted before they go on, 

Getting closer to a wof now!

List of shit left to do:

-New tyres/paint rims

-Wire up fuel pump properly

-Refit exhaust

-Road test

-Pump up suspension 

Then its good to go!

http://oldschool.co....rwest-bmc-1300/ to talk smack!

Few pics for you !

20140115_193408Large_zps84b25e25.jpg

Mid strip

IMG_0253Large_zps527a2983.jpg

Finished product

IMG_0255Large_zpsf273c851.jpg

How it sits at the moment!

IMG_0256Large_zps93c8730e.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Oh well what do we have here...She went straight through a WOF!!!

So now is WOF'd and reged.

However drove it for half hour on Friday which is the furtherest iv driven it since getting it going and its got a keeping cool problem..

Maaayyy have done a head gasket potentially.

• Like 1

Forgot pic of rims that have been sandblasted and painted in metallic silver looks chhoiccceee.

Went from this:

20131211_182259Large_zps0a701f75.jpg

To this:

20140219_152517_zps75ad006a.jpg

Great suceess!!

We have a problem though,

Drove it half an hour for the first time to the olds. Got warm by the time i got there.

Pulled it apart engine and radiator full of crud flushed them out with hose. The drivebelt was toast too so may explain my generator light being on.

Pulled pump off and its a bit notchy so sorted another one, oh and foudn it had no thermostat. So bought a pump, thermostat and they had no belt.

So chucked a pump in and it got hot in the drive within not long.

Also when i started for a second in the drive it had fumes/gas/smoke coming out of the thermostat housing area instantly ?? could this be a headgasket potentially?

Radiator didnt get hot on the bottom hose in the drive so must be blocked. Will get that recored or replaced, chuck the new pump and thermostat on with a new belt and see how we go.

Let me know your thoughts about my cooling problem,

Excellent

http://oldschool.co....rwest-bmc-1300/ to tell me about my cooling woes...

• 7 years later...