Kwaka Z650

Flauski

So when I had the bike running with my own loom mods, it was just after I rewired the Dyna electronic ignition to receive full power via a relay.

However, since I want this bike complete, combined with my perfectionist issue, I have tidied up a hell of a lot of the loom.

There were some shitty connections, and the handlebar controls were waaaay to long due to the position of the factory high rider bars. I have also removed a couple of things like the factory position light (as this is a Euro model.) I did consider buying a Motorgadget M-unit however they are just too expensive for me to justify.

I have changed my mind on the Speedo after having a bike with no rev counter, I would def rather have one. I really wanted a Motogadget unit but they are just too damn expensive. I settled on an Acewell unit. It has an electronic pickup that will read from the factory speedo cable output on the front wheel which is kewl. I am wiring it up so that it plugs into the factory loom. Pictures to come.

Spent plenty of hours on this over the last week or so. I hope to have going for the DGR in Welly next month however if I don't get there in time I will def have running by summer!

This is the after pic, compare it to the previous loom explosion pic;

upload_-1.jpg

Buying a proper crimper is highly recommended. Now the loom looks factory again.

I always hated those little blue/red crimps that fall off all the time. Check out the four handfuls of extra wire I have left over;

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This baby needs some lovin. My Uncle has just finished his BMW K100 Cafe (which is awesome) and he started well after me. 

A mate has recently finished my rear fender to accommodate the tail light and made the bracket for my speedo. 

Finish list getting smaller;

Check rear fender fitment.

Strip apart to bare frame.

Frame:

Make cut outs for coils (different for B frame to C frame)

Weld on rear disc brake bracket  (different for B frame to C frame)

Weld on mounting tags for rear indicators

Weld mount for ignition

Make mount for speedo

Weld up holes in modified triple tree

Blast / paint frame, fenders, triple tree

Modify /source alternative front fender (redrill mount holes as sections welded in to accommodate clearance for larger tyres)

Parts:

Front disc brake bolts x 4

New air filters (some of the old ones rubbers have separated from filter)

Rear shocks?

Shorter clutch cable / throttle cables

smaller battery

To get running:

Wiring - new speedo (removal of super huge cluster), moving of ignition, LED indicators/tail light, check suitability of wiring for H4 headlight 

WOF

20140713_145214.jpg

• Like 8

I dunno why but it stands out more in those pics. Probably due to colour difference but mount has always been there. It is like that because the holes lines up with existing holes in fender.

When both black I doubt it will be noticeable but that is food for thought thanks chief

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got frame to sand blaster and now waiting to be finished.

Little list for my engineer buddy

- notch coil mounts

- weld on mount for rear brake master cylinder

- tidy seat mount welds

- move rear fender mount bracket

- make bracket for ignition switch

- weld on mounting tags for rear indicators

- fill holes in top triple tree

• 6 months later...

Why you taking so long Flauski? 

Because M-unit

QbaFDKbZiheI12FfTKs9fpPzY858Fo0xx2HPvXsN

Can't teach an old dog new tricks (getting carried away)

There are practical reasons though (well that is what I tell myself); inbuilt alarm, inbuilt circuit breakers, mega functions, no need for key.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 03/02/2016 at 19:57, Flauski said:

This baby needs some lovin. My Uncle has just finished his BMW K100 Cafe (which is awesome) and he started well after me. 

A mate has recently finished my rear fender to accommodate the tail light and made the bracket for my speedo. 

Finish list getting smaller;

Check rear fender fitment.

Strip apart to bare frame.

Frame:

Make cut outs for coils (different for B frame to C frame)

Weld on rear disc brake bracket  (different for B frame to C frame)

Weld on mounting tags for rear indicators

Weld mount for ignition

Make mount for speedo

Weld up holes in modified triple tree

Blast / paint frame, fenders, triple tree

Modify /source alternative front fender (redrill mount holes as sections welded in to accommodate clearance for larger tyres)

Parts:

Front disc brake bolts x 4

New air filters (some of the old ones rubbers have separated from filter)

Rear shocks?

Shorter clutch cable / throttle cables

smaller battery

To get running:

Wiring - new speedo (removal of super huge cluster), moving of ignition, LED indicators/tail light, check suitability of wiring for H4 headlight 

WOF

20140713_145214.jpg

I love what you have done with my old Z650 awesome look, glad you posted your work, usually when you sell a bike you never see it again. Is it still going ok?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Flauski said:

It is not going as yet, a looooong term project. I am trying to cull the fleet a little. I will send you a message.

How'd you get on with the M-Unit? Was it as easy to setup as it looks? Planning to use one for my build but haven't actually purchased one - the price is a but painful.