Llama and Arrow's rust-pile Raleighs

Llama

Arrow (also known as Ms Llama, Alpaca, SHMBO etc) has some relatives that like to leave their bikes in the sea breeze at Pauanui for a veeeeerrrry long time. On a recent holiday there, to keep myself sane, we decided to take two of the unused ones apart, see if we could get them usable again. Turns out they were rather more poked then we realised, so we took them back to Auckland to attack them with a grinder.

They were her mothers and her aunties bikes, so both chicky style. Still, it'll do for now I guess.

Raleigh sports, V brakes and a internal three speed hub

IMG_9254.JPG

Another Raleigh sports, pedal brakes and freewheeling crank (I think?)

IMG_9255.JPG

After an hour or two an half a can of penetrating fluid...

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9266.JPG

Couldn't get the cotter pins out, nor the forks. Still, pretty fun work I guess, easier that cars at any rate.

The plan is get them tidy enough for tweed runs and things.

Bikes are now back in Auckland, managed to get the other bike mostly apart. 3/4 cotter pins out (and completely bung them in the process). Currently undecided if we are going to try find some OEM parts or replace them with slightly less stupidly designed bits, but that can wait until we get frames painted.

Can't get the axle/chainring out on both bikes, but am going to acquire a good torch tomorrow and to some heating+hammering.

Anyone how the handlebar holder things (stems?) are attached? There was a long bolt I unscrewed from the top of the steering tube thing, but I can't seem to get it off, even with a rather large hammer and plenty of oil. Have also cut one off them down to the tube, but still no go.

Dad reckons they might've been brazed on, in which case I can't remove the headset until choppy choppy of the steering tube.

Please get the workshop manual, the steering column is a bit fiddly but if you chop it you may as well throw the bikes in the bin.

Cotter pins are fiddly, but once you get the technique down they are easy. new ones are available and a great system if it hasn't been bashed about.

lol those stem will be rusted in not brazed. You don't remove the bolt, you loosen it then tap it with a hammer until it goes loose(you are separating the wedge from the stem). then the stem should slide out. However they are 97% likely to be seized in there. Soak the fucker in crc/coke/vinegar. try heat etc. hold wheel between ur legs and wiggle the bars. only chop as a last resort. If it is stuck well and good and you ruin er thing trying to get it out don't worry so much, you can just buy new(used) forks and stem. Try T whites, they have stuff, bajillions of raliegh stems and cranks. Or try trademe guys or adventure cycles. This shit is all easy to find and cheap. the chrome on ur cranks looks fucked anyway so just wack that shit with hammers.

u don't need manwell. these bikes are easier than new bike to work on, less special tool requirements/easier to get by without them. Sheldon browns website is where u wana go for English bike info. Also youtube prob has videos to show you how to do er thing. Once you have seen the bike in bits its easier to understand what to do. I had all the same problems you're having when i built my raliegh single speed thing that i brought to tweed ride. had never worked on a bike before. Those stems they have maybe 5-10 at t whites for like $5 and they have a few cranks be like $20 for a pair. Adventure cycles will also have all the parts for cheap as chips. sperlingaz on tm is prob your man if you wana find mint parts. hes not that cheap but much cheaper than rechroming. edit: also your bike will except regular old euro BB parts like off a 10 speed etc if you wanted to goto square taper alloy cranks. the bearing cups are the same just change the axle shaft thing

Yeah Kate's Empire sports has the same issue, I just left as is so its rideable but will eventually take it to t.whites for them to have a crack.

If you have no luck with the 4th cotter pin let them have a go too, though one of mine is still in/stuck, I need to press it out I think

Yeah, I'll let someone else have another go at the other cotter pin. For sitting around for 30+ years it's not too bad I guess.

EDIT just went to look at the bikes again, and the cranks straight fell off. Yay CRC.

The stems weren't playing nice, and I have one more cotter pin on the other bike, so will leave them to sit for another night or so before taking them in.