EURON8s TL125 Bobber Project

EURON8

The plan is to build a fully functioning bobber to ride.

It will be a rat project but with as many repurposed items used without replacing a prefectly fine part with something just for the sake of it. If i need a particular part i will try and make/recreate it using something ive found in the junk pile.

Hopefully i will end up with a cheap, functioning and most importantly asthetically pleasing bobber for cruising.

The basis for the build comes courtesy of Dave (Roman)

Its a 19something Honda TL125 (we believe its a TL)

I picked it up today with the help of Thomas (KIRK) and his van.

IMG_0688_zps2b004421.jpg

After getting it home and trying the kick start which appeared to be jammed i got a little to ega on the socket trying to get the spark plug out and broke it. WIll curse and swear and throw screw extractors at it tomorrow.

IMG_0687_zpsf22cd337.jpg

So after all this i thought id have a quick fiddle with the forks and rear.

The red line shows the extra bars i will add for the hard tail (Actual design is subject to change with warning). These will have to wait till im back at work to bend em up. I will jig it all up on my bench once the engine currently sitting on it is collected. Help keep everything straight and set to the right height.

IMG_3554_zps33fb8fb1.jpg

Oh i fliiped the bars and controls for good measure too,

IMG_3555_zps17be1eaa.jpg

Pass cert aye?

IMG_3557_zps7c468815.jpg

Made up a quick suicide shift but i think it has too much weight/leverage and i dont think it would stay in each gear. Will need to look into how people make these.

New road forks need to be found along with some clipons.

I have a rough idea of what i want. This definatley wont be quick, i want it done right and if that means waiting for the right parts to come along im OK with that.

Being a trials bike it has quite a large rear sprocket and close ratio box apparently. Full tit, top gear, 50 km according to Roman senior. SO... thats not going to cut it. Minimum i will change the rear sprocket and see how it goes.

Thats it for now.

• Like 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh by the looks of it my cg125 engine would bolt right on in there so prob cb125 and maybe xr engines would aswel. Maybe you could put road bike gears into your box but iduno if its worth playing around with that engine it seems kinda fucked yesterday

• 3 weeks later...

i should probably update this thread, but i will save the major update for possibly next week once i have the hard tail bends made up.

The reason i havent done it yet as i have been searching everywhere for a 19" front wheel.

So having asked almost everywhere on trademe(and google), some GC from Nelson must have seen and hit me up on one of my auctions. So for a measley $35 and some postage i have a complete wire spoked 19" front wheel. next week it will be shood with the 19" tire im picking up on the weekend and chucked on.

Then ill set the bike up for how i want it and measure up for the hardtail.

This will involve a 2" stretch of the swingarm (for mockup, its not staying) and rotate the motor forward so it sits level again.

DSCN0377_zps7a3e70eb.jpg

More photos and explanations next week.

So, told these to GTFO

DSCN0439_zps06e2e4bd.jpg

Was left with just the swing arm.

DSCN0440_zps9cc3a4ad.jpg

I have been trying to figure out how much i need to stretch it without it looking shit. Needs a bit of stretch to get the seat in a primo spot so i can ride it, me - big , bike - little

Today i cut some 3" spacers and chopped the swing arm in half,

viola! 3" stretch. Sitting a little low in the pic too. Will have a new frame running under the motor so need some clearance for that.

DSCN0446_zps3c96d9f3.jpg

Still need to find a suitably sized tank(or something tank useable)This is the orignal tank and its not really the right shape or length. Its propped up in this pic so it sits higher where id want it.

Yes, the seat is sitting on a stake I drove into the ground because my small tacks and over eager test sit snapped the swing arm. hence the vice grips.

DSCN0450_zps53e001d4.jpg

A wee censored pic of riding position. I needed to edit my stance a tad so precision traced myself and subsituted colourful boxes / dont want you weirdos perving. arms up as i decided rasied bars will proably suit better.

Gah, put head in the wrong place haha.

DSCN045011_zps86c2d42e.jpg

its not ideal but a 6'5 Me was never going to be able to fit a 125 easily.

Good learner for when i aqquire a larger moto later on down the track.

Opinions? What have i missed? Ideas? Go!