Joe's 1976 CB400f

Goat

Got some more goodies from dime city cycles today. This site rules for cafe/bobber/brat stuff.

Have been keeping my evenings busy stripping and cleaning the carbs.

Got them looking like this after a season or two of prison break + polishing. Hah.

h0am5iro.xkn.jpg

hdff4sj2.icp.jpg

zprqjqxz.zda.jpg

hfkele0i.sux.jpg

cpopalh1.uoi.jpg

y3pxqqsh.xyh.jpg

pdqzinew.m1r.jpg

o2kprkgt.mug.jpg

Got some rebuild kits to pop in them. And will hopefully get to coastal fastenings to get some satinless cap screws to replace all the chewd out old scres on the caps, bowls, and choke butterflys.

Yay.

• Like 1

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeaman. Dime city stacks

I can't rate them highly enough!

Have bought quite a few goodies (yet to be unveiled) throught them. Takes between 5 and 10 days for goods to turn up.

Top notch service, awesome products. Super easy to use site.

Only thing that is dumb is the shipping costs. But it still seems cheaper than most. And when you cant find anything like the stuff i want locally, the states it is. And then shipping is always brutally lame. But meh.

If youre gonna sign up to them, let me know beforehand so i can reccomend you so i get points on my account when you sign up :)

Hey Joe!

Just been around to my dads mates place and he just brought a 77 HOnda CB400F . Blue tank. Really nice bike. Is off tomorrow on a two week ride around the north island with the vintage bike club! He is 71. He also has a Honda Dream 350, CB77 Honda Cafe racer

SO yea, still cant bring my self to spend 200 odd smackers on a seat. That may or may not look any good on the bike.

The CB400s have a squarish tank, so i think most of the single seats, which are all rounded, will look weird on it.

I also am apprehensive about making my own fiberglass one as i have never done it before and it is still a bit expensive, especially if i fuck it up.

So i thought I'd stick with what i know. Sheet metal!.

Today i did some concept sketches and made the templates out of some thick card. When i get to my metal and welder i will put these onto sheet metal and weld it up.

I am pretty damn stoked on how it turned out. I think I'm onto a winner here.

Concept sketches:

2pv1ftdg.tpo.jpg

gnp3eghs.rxr.jpg

Completed and taped together mockup:

cuv5nrp2.agn.jpg

lywgy5dy.jhe.jpg

Finished mockup sitting on bike. It will be sitting much lower and much more snug as i havnt taken the seat off and there is still all the seat lock and helmet lock stuff which doesn't allow it to sit down.

1bgqmohg.f3j.jpg

It is quite angular at the moment. This will not be the case when its finished. Aiming for smoothish curves and tidy round corners. But this pig gives the general idea.

Just need to get to my steel and my welder. Will be win.

Bring on nats

Hey Goat that tail is looking awesome! But if you decide to go for the one piece leather look there's a place in Napier called Kimber Charmans Motor Trimmers and they'll make anything on your original seatpan. They're really affordable and you can just send the dude a photo of how you'd like it to look and he'll make it happen. They can put decals on it and stuff too, here's the double seat I've just had done for my GB.

DSCF6738_zpsdab6ef2b.jpg

But it is always better to build it than to buy it, cool bike man.

• 2 weeks later...

So yea,

I have been putting my carbs back together with all new stainless cap screws etc as i munted all the old screws taking them out...

Should i peen the choke butterfly screws? or will locktite be enough? What flavour locktite?

Tanks