felixx

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not entirely sure where to post this, but I'll try here first haha.

I've just bought a place in Brighton and the single garage it came with is pretty sad, holes in the metal roof, walls are some vintage thin concrete sheets (potentially asbestos, who knows) and the frames a bit rot in the bottom corners. I'm after a few quotes from local builders to get it made a little wider and longer, so will need to effectively be bowled then a bit of extra concrete laid, frame up, and sides put on (don't need any fancy interior lining done or wiring, I'll do that).

Any GCs on here that could take a look and let me know if I'm attempting anything stupid? and give me a rough price?
Can get a roofer to do the roof afterwards. 

To extend your garage is not a small undertaking. Building consents, drainage (yep, even just for stormwater) and I dunno if new Brighton is TC3 or not? ( @yetchh might know?) Meaning the existing floor slab isnt up to the new spec's?

But hey,

I'm not a builder. I pulled my old garage down, and gave versatile a pretty hefty wad of coin for a new shed. 

I fudged my old lady's garage that was pretty messed up, had a 10deg lean to the left as well as zero bottom plate, full of borer and a ridge line that resembled someones spine. Tbh I'm surprised it didn't fall over in the quakes. But we straightened it up and its still going to the point were mum put a new roof on it. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 10:29, MichaelJFox said:

Not entirely sure where to post this, but I'll try here first haha.

I've just bought a place in Brighton and the single garage it came with is pretty sad, holes in the metal roof, walls are some vintage thin concrete sheets (potentially asbestos, who knows) and the frames a bit rot in the bottom corners. I'm after a few quotes from local builders to get it made a little wider and longer, so will need to effectively be bowled then a bit of extra concrete laid, frame up, and sides put on (don't need any fancy interior lining done or wiring, I'll do that).

Any GCs on here that could take a look and let me know if I'm attempting anything stupid? and give me a rough price?
Can get a roofer to do the roof afterwards. 

Where in brotown? 

Ah righto. I was under the impression you could go up to 30sqm without running into all the red tape.

It is offset from the road, has enough space to park a car in front of it, just.

It's near the roundabout in south New Brighton @yetchh it's on TC2 land, has a single garage on it at the moment but she needs some love.

Lets say I just fix the existing structure then, is there an OS GC builder (or friend of a friend) that'd be willing to come kick some tires and let me know what's up?

26 minutes ago, MichaelJFox said:

Ah righto. I was under the impression you could go up to 30sqm without running into all the red tape.

It is offset from the road, has enough space to park a car in front of it, just.

It's near the roundabout in south New Brighton @yetchh it's on TC2 land, has a single garage on it at the moment but she needs some love.

Lets say I just fix the existing structure then, is there an OS GC builder (or friend of a friend) that'd be willing to come kick some tires and let me know what's up?

Pm me the addy and I'll have a look.. 

• Like 1