1tons marvel of an Avenger

1ton

Couldnt resist buying this as it had a wof and no real issues so could be dailyed straight away after slap some rego on.

Shes real straight though paint is worn, got a 1600 4spd, all running sweet as, filthy old 14" cheviot turbos for OSness and came with heaps of spares, typical

oh yeah had a look underneath and found nolathane? bushes

No plans for now other than Clean, Rego, Drive

avengercornerb4.jpgavengerrearb4.jpgavengerbackseatb4.jpgavengernolathane.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, spent most of the holidays either camping at the river or working on our other main project = our house/backyard etc.

So back to the 'venger
geez it was real grotty when I got it
avengerinsideb4.jpg

so gave it a good clean inside and out.
I decided to change the ripped seats for these ones that came as spares
avengerniceseats.jpg

bit more bearable now
avengerinsideafter.jpg

random find under drivers seat, an IHC tag with the 'vengers number plate stamped on it
avengerrandomfind.jpg

thought it would be good idea to get all the spares outta the boot and see what Ive got
actually turned out to be quite a few good parts, some NOS still packaged but because of where previous owner had stored the spares at his place (outside!) they boxes are near rooted. Got a few handy items like mint lights, sun visors, carbies, dizzy & caps, coils, ignition & key, fuel pump, even a complete fuel line.
avengerspares1.jpg
avengerspares2.jpg

was having a play with the bonnet release (which was a frayed bit of cable sticking out the grill) and noticed a broken piece of the grill that wasnt so obvious
avengergrillb4.jpg
avengerbrokengrill.jpg

had a spare piece of grill from one of my other projects sitting nearby (VG Valiant) so just for the hell of it I chucked it in front of the 'venger grill and it fit in the space so well it almost looks made for it, needs a little adjusting but you get the idea
avengergrillaftr.jpg

so I am currently swapping the indicator switch for one of the better spare ones
you can see that the aftermarket gear knob has been biffed for the original knob and it now has a tacho
avengernow1.jpg

and polishing the fins on the Turbos
avengermag.jpg

thats all for now, cheers

• 6 months later...

So, after using up the Wof that it came with I put the Avenger through for check and ended up with a wee list:

1. L/F wheel bearing noisy

2. Split steering rack boot

3. Worn wiper blades

4. Rear brake hose perished

5. Headlights temperamental

Had about a doz spare wiper arms and blades so #3 was easy.

After swapping the indicator stalk over my headlights would work intermittently which was due to the contacts but lucky I had heaps of spare units so swapped again, #5 sorted.

Split rack boot and wheel bearing were on same side, time to jack her up and get into it. Bought a new bearing set from Stanmore Auto Spares

p4ja.jpg

Packed it up with all new grease, good as gold, #1 sorted.

Had a near new rack boot in the spares, chucked that on and see ya #2

Due to a soggy driveway at the time and cant use my garage I handed the car over to a brakeshop for the brakehose replacement and bleeding.

Took it back for recheck and yay new WOF. Been using as a cheap daily ever since with no problems at all, actually, one of the best value-for money cars Ive bought in a while.

The paint was starting to get very thin and faded with cracking/crazy through it so gave it a bit of paint but wasnt happy with it so starting sanding the paint off again. looks a bit rough at the moment til I finish sanding it and respray but not sure on what colour to go for next? Original colour was white but maybe go back to gold, or something different altogether.

65q8.jpg

dxvd.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something different it is then.

Another one of my $35 paint jobs (only use half a $70 tin of paint), wont win any shows but not all bad,

looks less dodgy now so hopefully wont get as much unwanted attention from the lovely boys & girls in blue

8i3k.jpg

lqeo.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Well i WAS going to rant on about how I put a 2nd coat of silver on and managed to paint the engine bay this time round

8kfr.jpg

and how it passed its WOF with only a brakelight bulb to fix and how its such an awesome daily run-about that gets alot of good attention since the change of paint

hr86.jpg

but.........

as you do, deals come up and I have recently moved the Avenger on to someone else

miss it already

wouldnt be surprised if it pops up again

and still undecided what to do with that Triumph?