cylinders 1982 Toyota Hilux

cylinders

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and just bought this '82 Hilux for a good deal. First on the list are quite a few rust repairs, and a general tidy up of the interior.
8227748269_bdb5f08d23_c.jpg
IMG_0122 by colinrossmacleod, on Flickr

First thing I did after buying it was throw some Hella semi-sealed 7" H4 lamps in... oh and get it stuck in the sand while testing the limits of 2wd and 15 year old retreads. Lucky for Hilux I've got some rigging skills, so lifting it and swinging it over using bits of wood I found in the forest was an easy one man job. (Note the weight of a single fence post on the lever was enough to lift the back!)
8228811386_c004470159_c.jpg
IMG_0126 by colinrossmacleod, on Flickr

I love the sound of Toyota straight sixes paired with straight exhausts (1986 surf w/ 6mge on lpg in 2009) so that is part of my long-term vision for the project. I feel like this is the beginning of a great partnership.
8227749515_c53e399ea5_c.jpg
IMG_0119 by colinrossmacleod, on Flickr

Discussion - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/35394-cylinders-82-hilux-beach-hauler/

cylinders

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've managed to do a lot in the last few weeks.

Rust has been cut out of many areas, from memory; the entire firewall sill, driver's and passenger's A pillars, driver's side windscreen frame, driver's footwell, driver's side rear end of cab and can mount area, the driver's seat mount frame, and the battery box (which I cut out and replaced with a fab'd up ford mondeo from the wrecker's yard).

Getting into it...

8444031202_e40dfed2a3_b.jpg

Untitled by SEAcylinders, on Flickr

An example of the rust... which was everywhere! So much so that I got over documenting it tbh.

8444033556_e81e563571_b.jpg

Somebody covered the wellside in ply... not a good idea if you live in Raglan like the previous owner did. Pretty sure this was their harvest truck as the back was full of stems and cab, and they had a pretty swanky tray cover to hide the precious cargo from the piggies, if you know what I mean...

Those bits of alloy plate have been riveted into plave as stoppers for all the BOG that on the tray. So heinous.

8444032454_42266daf31_b.jpg

As well as that, I've reco'd all the brakes, it has drums on all four corners and was trying to pull me into the curb when I hit the stoppers, so I thought I should do something about it before I ran over some scooter kid while checking the surf. Cylinder seals were all shot and drums needed skimming, so I sent them away for skimming and replaced the cylinders and shoes. When the drums came back I gave em a lick of red caliper paint to boot. Didn't think to get a shot of the clean drums before they were hidden by my wheels. On the subject of wheels, the owner of the workshop taught me how to use his tire machine while fitting my new tyres and how to balance them after. This place is better than a damn polytech course!

Then I recored the radiator, as I didn't want some shitty alloy one falling apart on the Clyde st high-speed test, and a toyota genuine one was about the same cost as a set of gold teeth. Also I made my own bottom hose to the block as finding a new one that fit was impossible. Cut up two Gates radiator hoses out of a mitsi mirage or something...

8442985437_90bdae69ed_b.jpg

And joined them together with this flash little piece if a Ducati's exhaust pipe.

8444076962_b5ece74d93_c.jpg

I'll leave you with a picture of the tray being aligned on the back, more on that later... Cheers!

8442987219_81625b6351_b.jpg

-C

Annd yesterday I finished all work required for the wof. Fitted a new center bearing for the driveshaft, balanced the newly bedded brakes, and fixed an exhaust leak... Bout the only time I've been pissed about a public holiday, I just wanna get the hilux on the road! Should be golden by Thursday, fingers crossed.

I'll post up some before/after pictures in a day or two.

Got a VTNZ WOF today! All my welds passed and the little thing is golden!

8451546783_244dbace91_b.jpg

8452638336_072c479ca7_c.jpg

I was so amped that I went out and spent a bit on presents for it. Got some of this, for making new seat covers ($20 p/m at Spotlight, really made in mexico and quite thick proper upholstery fabric)

8451559103_0779a9b3c1_c.jpg

Then I started hunting rims on TM and scored these...

8451562965_da07a481a9_b.jpg

247320779 by SEAcylinders, on Flickr

It's only a pair but they were a great deal and they're 15x7 Enkei AP7's (or AP9 can't get a definite answer) so should look great on the ute. Now I just need micheal to lower the price of his 15x8.5 "apaches" (Really AP7's as well) to something sane!

I supposed it remains to be seen if they will fit :-D

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Some things have been slowly progressing since the last post, as well as a bit of regression in other areas...

Progess:

Got the wheel bolts on the Enkeis re plated and polished, look smick now, from memory it was about 60 durrah for 40 bolts and 40 nuts from FM Surface Coatings in Hams.

Picked up some 195/50/15 MY01s from OSGC sr1600. What a guy, even delivered to my door for a box!

Bought the Momo Indy circa 1979 wood grain, refurbed completely from bare wood, rebrushed alloy, genuine momo boss kit and horn.

Lucky 7 ball gear knob made from a pub ball, managed to drill it straight while holding it and using a battery drill, suprised it didn't come out cock-eyed. win.

New dash, OG am stereo (not hooked up/no speaks), dash pad less cracked and nicer dark brown colour, control panel nice and uncut (ie no one tried to slam a head unit into it's beautiful surface.

cracked and missing puzzle piece steering column surround (where the column shift has smashed into plastic on a particularly enthusiastic throw) repaired using super glue and solar-rez (surfboard epoxy), painted black and shift pattern redone in white.

Gas pedal rusted off it's floor pivot, made up a new one by making pedal and welding to the lever, painted gold cause i was feeling a little baller.

New plugs and leads seemed to sort the misfiring issues (repco NGK). Anyone know where I can score an NGK sticker?

Regression:

Those rust repairs from above posts have become a nightmare! I did them with a friend from my welding course, and it turns out that the repairs which were done in my absence were actually just bog hide jobs.

FUCKCUNTASSBASTARDIWILLBURNYOURBOGGEDOUTBEDFORDSTOTHEFUCKINGGROUNDYOUSELFISHFUCK!

I discovered this when replacing the dash, found a great dirty hole on the inside of a spot where it was apparently all new steel which took this snake hours to shape and fit. Not so, there was a strip of panel steel tacked on the support the drooping saggy shitness of bog he slapped on it. This is a spot which cost alot to do as I had the windscreen removed and re-rubbered while out to avoid heating the glass.

In all fairness I got had by this guy and it is mostly my own fault for a. not educating myself on what constitutes a decent repair (magnets!) and b. not paying attention to what was done when I was working. So the paint he threw on the repairs was not proper auto paint either... now most of the repair have rust bubbling up through the bog... park truck on beachfront property for months, viola a clusterfuck of a vehicular nature. that link is like trevor (gta V) and bubbles (trailer park boys) in the same body!

And my exhaust is quite tractor spec, putter putter bang type neighbourhood annoyance.

Needless to say I am back to the WoF-less state I was in before. The legnum daily is handling everything quite well but I would love to have this back on the road for summer so I can cruise for babes with my girlfriend.

I'll edtit this in a bit with pictures/ gotta go cut down some trees for the old man before he hurts hisself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of the worst sort of update, pictureless and bad news.

I'm cash poor at the moment, and it's looking likely that I'll be heading overseas before I can finish this thing off the way I'd like to. So, selling the ute is becoming a sour tasting necessity.

I am hoping an OSGC will be interested and this will ensure it is saved, or that the parts from it are used to a good end. If you are keen, flick me a PM and we can talk turkey. I've spent around 4k so far on the thing, and I know I will only get close to 25% of that back as it's not reg'd or wof'd.

We're in Mount Maunganui.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Much better news this time round!

After Jamie (HighLux) put me on to an old fella down the road I got a super reasonable quote for a cash jobbie removing rust from the left hand A pillar and the firewall, as well as treating a few other areas. It's currently happening right now, probably finished tomorrow lunch time.

I also have had the time to do some bits and bobs like new ball joints, new engine gaskets, rust removal from hanger bearing crossmember, and lowering the front a tad using the torsion bars.

New ride height allows for 15mm gap between bumpstops.

11315206064_406a676794_c.jpg

Picked up some rims to keep the enkei's company. Appear to be cragar steelies but cannot find a brand stamping. Were chrome and then covered in a super shite layer of silver galv coat or something. Chrome flaking, rust bubbling, perfect for a sandblast.

Bay Sandblasting did two of them for $30 per wheel, initially to prep for powdercoating but I changed my mind when I saw how nice they looked in a raw finish. Aerosol clear coat applied to face and they look great.

Bought off TM like this for $100

11315157056_fb614cd9af_c.jpg

Got them back from blasters like this

11315202663_6941516b6e_c.jpg

Clear coat applied... only 3 coats on, more to come before mounting etc.

11315226113_87cdac9f44_c.jpg

11315114265_7114c887b7_c.jpg

They have the same round-head 20 bolt pattern so should match the look of the enkeis nicely in a staggered set-up, 14 x 6 (-6) & 15 x 7 (-15). Anyone reading this with an opinion on what tyres to run without losing too much highway ability? I have some MY01 205/50/R15 for the enkeis but I'm now thinking it's too small compared to the standard tyre. Bizzo what are you running?

Cleaned up the motor a bit too.

11315140636_b6b6d56568_c.jpg

Gonna be good cruising around in this again soon!
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Had a fairly successful parts run at Zebra.

Got brand new side indicators, new RN40 park light lenses, crack-free black dash pad, single key matching door locks and ignition barrel and loom, good condition black/grey door cards, black/grey RN40 headrest style seat back, and both front guards in decent/repairable condition.

There was so much more I would have loved to take but had neither the time nor the money for. Front disk brakes and suspension, 5 speed column shift box, wiper motor, black dash frame, black vinyl carpet etc.

Pics and installs to follow.

Big big thanks to estate, who in the middle of a shitty situation still made the time to help me connect with Zebra before the truck was shipped to the UAE. Thanks also to Brett from Zebra, who brought the truck out to me on a forklift from the processing yard at zebra, and let me stay on an extra hour on a friday night while I pulled parts.

I'll have some spare RN interior/misc parts coming up for sale soon, PM me if you'd like a heads up.

• Like 1

Here's some pics of the last couple days productivity

11904942786_da7ff9ab11_c.jpg
Stopping for a bite to eat on SH2 after picking the middy up from the airport, her luggage and the car parts are all lashed to the tray.

11904917776_346c783bf3_c.jpg
Hula girl is swinging her hips to the rhythm of my revs, made a little mexican blanket to cover the gross crack in dash, festive Gull vouchers hold it in place, Marble Sheep pin stuck in (best gig I've been to in a while, CRAZY japanese rockers), little tig cube, Jabra wireless speaker (solved the age old dilemma of where to hide the headunit, it bluetooths to the phone and has enough battery for me to drive 3 hrs to Auckland, wrench for 6 hrs, and drive back without needing a charge!)

11904047445_8c68bf7cfe_c.jpg
New black and grey door cards and seat back from _Estate's old ute, really good nick but now the yellow of my unpainted interior sticks outs like dogs balls.

11904291823_22681b5d21_c.jpg
Used to have a pretty gnarly red drippy spray across the back reading "surf or die!" in jagged grossness. It was really fun driving around landlocked towns with that on the back, but since I've acquired some OS labelling I am shooting for a more friendly blissed out vibe so have a temporary cover job on it til I sort something nicer. It'll be a yellow smiley with the words "surfed out" in funky letters where his eyes are (kinda like the old KC Hilites). Once I get the design down I'm going to make up a piece of ply to cover that area of the tray and wood burn the same design onto it with a varnished or stained finish. In case you're wondering that sticker says MORE GUNS/LESS CRIME, a good hillbilly mate of mine stuck it on and I've grown to like it, even if the message can be a bit heavy sometimes (ie. right after another mass shooting in the US).

But fuck that downbuzz, I'm all about the party and getting some tasty waves so I'd better get to sleep. TC Ian is going to bless us with some solid ground swell today or tomorrow, yeo!
  • Like 2

This isn't the best photo but what you see here are 4 uncut NOS teq Toyota Motor keys! Once I sort out the matching door locks and ignition barrel from the donor ute I'll be making up some nice key sets. I hope to have a regular set, spare set and a surfing key with a lanyard so I can stop hiding the bloody things in broad daylight!

11918227305_b3ed6ab721_b.jpg

12038546623_13b49807fd_b.jpg

Got some goodies in Kumeu today, had a sweeeet time to boot. Met up with Chris and Tara and the morning for the drive in, and then cruised the swap meat like an early bird looking for worms. Met up with Denham and a couple of his mates too, those bikes of his are so fucken cool.

14x7 Cheviot Tridents x 2

Nardi wheel

Personal wheel

Otto BK Toy

2 LPs

Skate wheels

12039096906_58325e119b_b.jpg

Scored all the above for less than $100!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had some idling issues over the last few days so pulled the carb apart and cleaned everything. Something was killing the motor at low revs, and while servicing the carb I also found out that my secondary hasn't sprayed any gas in years, it was way to clean and dry in there. I managed to find the blockages in both problems and got it all back together an idling sweetly at <1000rpm. Had a few spare moments in the shop left so I pulled off the rocker cover to replace the leaky gasket that's been keeping me off the driveway. Came out clean and easy, and after a quick wash and clean out, the new gasket was on and I was done. A photo of my cleaned rocker cover is hardly interesting so I'll leave that out.

Hopefully, I can land some contracts soon and start finishing off things like wheels, low, and wellside... that would make me a happy happy man.

• 3 months later...

Been a few changes since January. I built a new back half of exhaust for the thing this morning. Sounds excellent, with a short can and 1.5m of straight 1.5" pipe out the rear. Old 50's AA badge and an old JAF badge now live on the grille. New slogan painted on the back of the tray as well.

Before my next wof in June I will replace at least the back shocks, possibly the front too. Nolathane bushes might find their way in there too while I'm in the area. I'll try to post some pics when I edit this post later on, but I'm too pressed for time this arvo so adios!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...