4 linking a KE20 ? Anyone on here done it?

bridgin

Hi all,

Looking at 4 linking my KE20, wondering if anyone has or hasnt done it, would be similar to doing an RX3/808 i would think,

I have come across these kits for ke70/ae70 rollas from Cali

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/te72 ... 72-corolla

, but wonder how hard or how easy it would be?

I will be using a b1600 LSD with nissan disks and calipers, and possibly these rear coil overs:

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... 86-corolla

there used to be a KE30 or similar in auckland painted up like general lee, it had 4-link rear and was super super slammed. cant find any pics sorry.

possibly was in an issue of MVP magazine, if that still exists

that thing is amazing

Friend of a few poeple off here from Hamilton.

But yeah its a fuck load of work. And If I stand corrected, i think RX3's are all 4 link factory anyway??

Yuh leaves vs 4link isn't gonna affect your ride height except that you can adjust it with coilovers.

You need the right teflon lined heim joints for cert.

Probably easiest to make some mounts on the diff and chassis, mock up your arm lengths with some 1" RHS or something then buy the heim joints, threaded sleeves and some thick wall DOM tubing and make the arms yourself.

Hmmm all good answers, points for and against, The reason I want to go four/five link is to have better handling and ride height adjustment, Im over leaves and having to A) get them custom made or B) resetting them and using blocks C) Having a limited range of shock absorbers to choose from and not many with dampner control and finally D) I will be running s13 coilovers hubs and brakes up front with adjustable camber castor ect so why do one end and not the other a?

I think the way to do it would be to copy the mounting on a Starlet(kp61) ect and find a wrecked one and cut and swap mounts, and floor, plus try to strengthen between the strut towers with welding in lower bracing under the car and a strut brace up top as well.

That way i could run this set up:

This 4 link set up from the starlet:

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/kp61/rear-4-links-kp61-starlet-0

Add these coilovers from the AE86 :

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/rear-coilover-conversion-ae86-corolla

Yeah you could use the factory front Leave spring Mounts for the bottom arm, then its just up to making some top arms and a Pan hard rod fit.

Starlet top arms are On angle For tirangulation to stop the diff moving round and make the arms longer at the same time.

you arnt really going to be able to run both sets of arms parrale due to the fact you would have to box out the mounting points into the cabin.

So angled top arms would be the way.

I dont think you would have to moddify the floor to much, maybe around the diff head and drive shaft depending on how low you really want to go. but that is normal kind of stuff regadless of what you are running.

As for the shockes, yes those would be perfect. seeing as your going to have to make new mounts for them on the diff anyway, you can make the mounting points as low as you want, which should give you more travel and better tuning. Just make sure they are nice and strong.

IE, dont just bolt coil overs to the factory shock locations, as they are weak as shit and only desinged to take the loadings of a shock damper, not a whole car

I am just about to start 4 linking my corolla as well but its a ke30. if you have access to a lathe and welder and are competent at fabricating i don't see it being to much of a mission.

I went to horopito motors with a tape and measured a whole lot of different toyota's, leaf sprung and 4 linked. the length of bottom arm on most 4 links and the length of the leaf spring from front hanger to center of axel were all pretty close, and the forward mounting points are all in very similar positions. like was said above starlets have inward angled top arms and others were standard parallel arms.

I'm going to put a b1600 diff into mine but i think the easiest 4 link conversion into an old leaf sprung corolla would be to remove a full diff complete withs arms out of a ke70 or similar mount bottom arms from leaf spring hangers, would likely need spacers made to take up any slack and mayby modified parts to accept appropriate sized bolts. for the top arms if you don't want to cut up the floor and and bring longer arms into the rear seat area use the standard arms and either make mounts from the body or off the side of the chassis rails. most toyotas i looked at had similar looking shaped rails so look like there would be plenty of room to do this. then make panhard rod mounts and if you want coilovers take a look at KPR's cars and turret like he has.

all this may not place the wheel in the center of the wheel arch but adjustable arms can sort that

If you doing all this to get car alot lower remake lower arm diff mounts further to bring arms back to flat and position top arm approriately.

all the above could can still be done with what ever diff just make the 4 link mounts in the correct position on the diff you want to use.

Don't forget to lock the diff and do skids.