GuyWithAviator's 1974 Austin 1300

GuyWithAviators

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway...

I'm stuck. Swapped head gasket. Started up great, idled fine, went to rev it and.. it just bogged down and wouldn't pick up again. Started it again, just and it died straight away. Nothing after that, won't start well and if it does won't idle.

It has spark from the coil, has fuel in the carbs and flowing from the pump. I have no idea what's wrong. I do only have a limited amount of knowledge though so could be something simple! 

So, any BMC weirdos in Auckland want to give me a hand? It's hard when you don't have a car in a new city. 

Beers provided - I just really need to get this going or at least somewhere else to look into. 

Sparkplugs correctly gapped? Tappets set correctly? Air filter clogged with crap? Carby jammed shut? SU carbys are a bastard for that when they get worn. Take the air box off and stick your fingers down the intake. You will be able to feel if the carby piston is stuck. If it is you should be able to get a finger or two under it and get it unstuck. If your fingers are too fat for that take the dashpot off and do it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Had another go at this today with Dad who's in Auckland for 'work' for a few days.

Carbs were a bit funny, they're better now just need a good tune. Loosely corrected the gaps on the tappets which bought the compression up a bit to a better (still slightly low) level. Now the engine runs good, we even drove it down the street.

Has low oil pressure and the idler gears/something  are very rattly.

We're thinking that something has worn through where it shouldn't and because these share oil with gearbox and engine it's bringing the whole pressure down. 

Tomorrow I'm going to try and whip the idler gear casing off in the car. Has anyone done this? Not much room but should be doable.

Then go on a mission to Mini Bitz and Zebra to raid their Minis for parts. 

should be able to do it. when one of my minis dropped an idler gear bearing back in the day it was really low on oil pressure too. I suppose there's a gallery there somewhere or something. 

hopefully it's not bad enough to have knackered your gearbox housing and stuff :)

upgrade to straight cut idlers? the reason they shit the bed is the helical cut makes them try and turn on the housing

• Like 1

should be able to do it. when one of my minis dropped an idler gear bearing back in the day it was really low on oil pressure too. I suppose there's a gallery there somewhere or something. 

hopefully it's not bad enough to have knackered your gearbox housing and stuff :)

upgrade to straight cut idlers? the reason they shit the bed is the helical cut makes them try and turn on the housing

Will have a chat to Mini Bitz about a straight cut set tomorrow, would be a good way to go though! 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Igor, will find out eventually what it'll be. 

Lolworthy that there's wallpaper in your pic with the engine out. Is that paper to protect carpet on the floor? Did you drive through a sliding door into your room?

Ha, it's a lolspec 90s rental I'm in at the moment. Wallpapered garage with the same blinds on the windows as the rest of the house.