GuyWithAviator's 1974 Austin 1300

GuyWithAviators

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ!

I just gave your thread a read for the first time today. What a saga!

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a Honda v-tec engine, or a city turbo motor for this car.

There's a guy here in chch (Unsure if he's on here or not?) with a B16A in a mini. Surely there's more room in your engine bay than a mini?

You must be getting weary of that english reliability by now?

• Like 1

Jesus Christ!

I just gave your thread a read for the first time today. What a saga!

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a Honda v-tec engine, or a city turbo motor for this car.

There's a guy here in chch (Unsure if he's on here or not?) with a B16A in a mini. Surely there's more room in your engine bay than a mini?

You must be getting weary of that english reliability by now?

When I eventually run out of spare engine parts I might look into an engine swap. It's been done many times. R100 had one on here at while back. Would certainly give other cars a fright at the lights!

image-13.jpg

The engine itself is fine now and my old gearbox was smooth so should be A++ after combining these two! Need to get it running good by the end of the year when I take it to Auckland..  :compress:

Edit: you can even buy a bolt in subframe replacement for one to stick a vtec in it: http://www.superfastminis.com/MTB-AA.htm

• 1 month later...

Chch to Aucks in a 1300? Piece of piss mate. Did Whangarei to Bluff in mine in '94 with 6x6 trailer full of household gear. Three and a half days. Was hard work holding the speed down to 55 mph. Just couldn't do it on the big straights in South Canterbury. Was so boring I let it creep up to 70 mph. Bet the 8 inch wheels on the trailer didn't like that much.

Did you pass the licence test?

Don't worry about that shit on the sump plug magnet. All A series engines do that even if they're in good condition. It's a design feature to save everything else. Just clean it every time you change the oil.

Let us all know how that flexi-joint on the exhaust works out. All the minis and 1300 I've had over the years have had a habit of breaking the exhaust.

Loved the black and white photo outside the tower block. That's the height these cars should ride at. Plenty of ground clearance. You'd be amazed where they can safely go off road if you are confident enough.

Chch to Aucks in a 1300? Piece of piss mate. Did Whangarei to Bluff in mine in '94 with 6x6 trailer full of household gear. Three and a half days. Was hard work holding the speed down to 55 mph. Just couldn't do it on the big straights in South Canterbury. Was so boring I let it creep up to 70 mph. Bet the 8 inch wheels on the trailer didn't like that much.

Did you pass the licence test?

Don't worry about that shit on the sump plug magnet. All A series engines do that even if they're in good condition. It's a design feature to save everything else. Just clean it every time you change the oil.

Let us all know how that flexi-joint on the exhaust works out. All the minis and 1300 I've had over the years have had a habit of breaking the exhaust.

Loved the black and white photo outside the tower block. That's the height these cars should ride at. Plenty of ground clearance. You'd be amazed where they can safely go off road if you are confident enough.

Haha that's a pretty sweet story! Yup passed the test no worries. Good to know about the sump plug, will remember that! 

So far the flexi-joint has been good, it leaks a bit when the engine is moving on acceleration while its cold but once it warms up and the pipe expands (?) a bit it's fine. 

Agree with you about the ride height! I've taken it on a few beach trips and paddock bashes, the only time I've gotten stuck was in the sand when it was lower down. 

• Like 1

Driven my Wolseley 1300 in the snow on the ten mile rural commute to work a few times as was my daily for seven years. Never felt the need to use chains. One morning I only saw one other two wheel drive car moving and I couldn't go slow enough in top gear to stay behind him so I passed him at the breakneck speed of 35 mph.

That hydrolastic demo on your signature line is brilliant. Saw the whole thing on tv years ago. Heard they destroyed about seven cars doing it.

• 2 months later...

Would be good to catch up mtbtimr! I'm studying commercial photography at UCOL.

good luck on the trip!

you're driving all the way up this weekend?

No I planned to make it a bit of a roadtrip over a few days to see the sights. But looks like the AA Tow truck will get me there quicker.

Limped it onto the ferry with hardly any drive or oil pressure, think the drop gears have gone. They were a bit rattly when i left this morning. I'll have a proper look when I get to Wellington. Good thing I have AA Plus ...

Not too happy

When I first moved out I got 45min toward the Wellington ferry and had the dipstick pipe pop out and spray oil all over the exhaust of a beat up bluebird, smoke everywhere! I had little car knowledge back then and thought the adventure was over, lucky it was an easy fix and I made it down to the mainland.

Hope the drive gets better for ya and good luck with the course!

When I first moved out I got 45min toward the Wellington ferry and had the dipstick pipe pop out and spray oil all over the exhaust of a beat up bluebird, smoke everywhere! I had little car knowledge back then and thought the adventure was over, lucky it was an easy fix and I made it down to the mainland.

Hope the drive gets better for ya and good luck with the course!

Haha oh I wish my problems were so simple. My own fault for having a BMC car though I guess ;)

Cheers :)