GuyWithAviator's 1974 Austin 1300

GuyWithAviators

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well being british it's probably doing the usual and rust-protecting the underside from every seal possible :P

Is this just when it is cold? What is compression like?

Compressions are all good, (new rings 150km ago) It actually does not leak oil yet! since the rebuild, given the amount of smoke on the over run and the startup smoke after sitting I suspect worn valve guides Smoke clears after about a K. I have put new stem seals on but they may not be enough. As I only gave it a light hone and not a rebore, I am hopeful it may just take a bit of running in. Probably put another 300K's on it on the way to the OS meet on Sunday. At least we have fixed the head gasket problem caused by the head missing a plug and it no longer uses water / runs hot.

• Like 1

^What he said, thanks Dad  :wink:

love the idea of an oldschool logo on the sides. 

side note, hows the v50 going? i saw a photo of it in the back of the ute at the last QCR ride, had to bail early when dads RG50 lost all spark moments after the Lyttleton tunnel bombing

Yeah I noticed you disappeared. It was on the ute because after coming down the hills I lost the tail light lens, swingarm nut and two sprocket bolts haha.

I fixed that and have just put new tires on it, so it's all good now. Running sweet as it should

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey bud - I've got a pair of new old stock factory sill replacements for this.

Well one complete side and 3/4 of the other. You want em?

I can bring them down at Nats time in early March or if someone is heading your way soon in a car I can chuck em in.

Hey bud - I've got a pair of new old stock factory sill replacements for this.

Well one complete side and 3/4 of the other. You want em?

I can bring them down at Nats time in early March or if someone is heading your way soon in a car I can chuck em in.

Ooh they could be useful yeah. How much do you want for them? 

White walls look sweet, makes me look bigger then 12's!

Definitely! Thinking of painting the steels blue soon too for a bit of colour 

• 1 month later...

Fantastic build mate!  I have had 5 of these in the past, one of which was in showroom condition.  Absolutely awesome cars!  I see you are having a lot of head gasket issues too...  I used to use a composite gasket and spray it with copper gasket cement on fitting, they are far more forgiving than the copper equivalents.  You can get these from ACL.  Great to see you taking the time to build this up... but careful, they are addictive.  Last time I had one I gained 4 more in the backyard!  If I can help you with anything let me know, I have no parts left but I do know where all 5 cars went with parts and the dude would part with some I am sure.  I have resto'd a Mini and an 1100 and am following your build with interest... Great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i just brought a 1975, austin 1300 myself about a month ago, good to see someone else as the same taste in cars. you've made great progress too and it looks great. so glad i found this forum, its a great help.

There a few BMC weirdos on the site.

Now it's your turn to start a build thread....

• Like 2

i just brought a 1975, austin 1300 myself about a month ago, good to see someone else as the same taste in cars. you've made great progress too and it looks great. so glad i found this forum, its a great help.

There are some pretty knowledgeable guys on here! 

Agree with IJ, throw up a build thread! 

• Like 1