shavenYak's scoot of weed-eatery

shavenYak

Hey here's a thread about my velo-scooter!

Firstly, some catch up from the velodrome thread:

Finished my weedscooter today, I estimate it does about 25/30 kph (on tarmac). Keen to make it go faster. All the kids in my hood want a go.

DSCF1249Custom.jpg

DSCF1251Custom.jpg

DSCF1252Custom.jpg

DSCF1374Custom.jpg

DSCF1375Custom.jpg

^^ would give the motor/bearings a run for their money would it not? plus need a gearing change fo sho..

measure up clutch bell ID, clutch arm mounting dimensions etc and let me know, we have a couple of chinese weed eaters sitting here that may have what you need

oh orrrsome! cheers bro - bell ID is 78mm, 21mm deep. Clutch shoe(?) is 19mm wide. umm, bolt spacing is about 53mm, and the length of the shoe surface is about 170mm.

DSCF1382Custom.jpg?t=1322030228

In the meantime, I've bought some 1/16" gasket, which I will attempt to glue to the shoes. Will contact adhesive burn?

yeah probably could find someone to re-line them, but trying to keep this project minimal spend if I can, so hopefully this works:

DSCF1389Custom.jpg?t=1322201121

edit: and yeah, Yowzer if this doesn't work then direct drive it shall be!

Started redesigning the weedscooter last night - progress:

DSCF1403Custom.jpg

DSCF1402Custom.jpg

DSCF1401Custom.jpg

:D Suzuki love

Waiting on a new chain and rear sprocket to turn up. Seems that the output sprocket on the gearbox is 8mm pitch, while the chain I bought the other day was 1/4" (#25).

seating position feels pretty good, just need a footplate or a pipe for footrests.

IT LIVES AGAIN!

DSCF1687Custom.jpg

Now with 80% more weld and 40% more seat.

When is next Wellodrome meet?

so, just bought a "two stroke exhaust" from trademe.

http://www.trademe.c... ... 959722.htm

hacked it up to suit the bike and discovered the expansion chamber wasn't quite made like I imagined.

The exhaust pipe carries on about a third of the way into the chamber.. I had imagined the exhaust pipe should stop as soon as the chamber starts, so that science happens and I go faster.

Currently, I can only see it working as a muffler. Would that be correct?

did a little bit of saturday work on the scooter today:

DSCF1799Custom.jpg

DSCF1800Custom.jpg

Muffler is removable for racing.

Thigh warmer is warm. Bring on winter droming.

Also, I've ordered a 44 tooth rear sprocket from ebay uk. Will hopefully gain a few kph over the 54 I've got on there now.

Look what arrived today! Parts overnight from ebay uk stz

DSCF1840Custom.jpg

Put it on the bike and took it for a blat up the road. Definitely a fair bit faster, lost a little acceleration but not too much.

took the scooter for a hoon around the Feilding track today. Track was pretty meh due to not being very banked at all. Scooter wasn't that much faster with the smaller sprocket, but I think I need to have a play with the mixture knob to get more out of it. There was a sign on the fence which was mostly unreadable but it said something about not riding motorbikes or risk prosecution etc.. So in general, pretty shitty track. There's one in Marton I might check out some time soon.

DSCF1851Custom.jpg

Track was 433 meters according to some website, and a lap took 30 seconds. This equates to 52kph which is OK I guess, but I was hoping for more.

That brings us to today:

made some new footrests after the old ones got a bit munted and broke

replaced the brakes cause some really handsome guy crashed it at the taupo drome and somehow bent the old ones!

so, a quick rundown on things so far, and some more photos:

47cc chinese screeching-eagle scrub cutter 2 stroke

mini-motorcross reduction box, chain and 44 tooth rear sprocket

pit bike exhaust and throttle grip

wheels are from some kids bike and tires are for some fancy baby pram

fgTD7.jpg

w8nYG.jpg

Edit: also replaced the raleigh 20 sprung seat for this ^ from my 10-speed. The sprung seat was way too bouncy for the wellington track, although now I will have to endure bruised gooch

• 3 weeks later...