Bleeding Beetle brakes

zep

Hey everyone,

I'm helping a friend put his (my old) Beetle back together after a paint job and am encountering some weirdness when trying to bleed the brakes.

Details:

'73 Aussie Beetle, drum rear, disc front.

I did NOT bench bleed the master cylinder. There are no leaks in the piping from the reservoir to the master cylinder or in the brake lines.

We started with the rear left - rear right: bled absolutely fine.

Fronts, not a lot of action going on here. At first the fluid was pushing through the caliper well, then it just kind of stopped. Mate pushes the pedal, fluid doesn't come out of the caliper. Some times it does, but very very slow and not very much (like 20mm in the tube). Then it appears to creep back into the caliper even though the valves are done up!

What might be causing this lack of pedal-fluid action? Especially when it seems to be intermittent. Am I going to have to rip off the m/c and bench bleed it? I thought it might be because the master cylinder is gravity fed and it wasn't getting enough fluid from the reservoir but checked that and fluid pissed out all over me.

Help?!

Bench bleeding makes ALL the difference.

Otherwise you are just compressing air and getting fuck all fluid movement through the lines..

In theory if you persevere long enough you may get it sorted but it never seems to be right.

The reason the drum end would work is the volume required to bleed calipers is much greater.

Also the fluid running back into the hose is just the bubbles flowing to the top of the hose. It looks like the fluid is going backwards but its not.

As KK has said, gravity bleeding first is the way to go, starting with the master cylinder. Also been a beetle check the condition of the hose to the reservoir. It is common for the older hoses to dissolve internally causing a fluid restriction. If all of that checks out and still no pressure to the front the pressure cup must be damaged or swollen. Been a 73 there should be two outlets on the MC to the front brakes which generally means you bleed the right front first.

Zep, are you certain the pipes are hooked up correctly on the M/C?

If the front and rear lines were in the wrong ports on the M/C then strange things would happen

Yeah, I'm sure they are correct, could not fit any other way.

As KK has said, gravity bleeding first is the way to go, starting with the master cylinder. Also been a beetle check the condition of the hose to the reservoir. It is common for the older hoses to dissolve internally causing a fluid restriction. If all of that checks out and still no pressure to the front the pressure cup must be damaged or swollen. Been a 73 there should be two outlets on the MC to the front brakes which generally means you bleed the right front first.

I always thought you bled starting from the furthest away brake first. So I started from the rear left. Hoses are all new. There is pressure to the front, but not consistent. What is the pressure cup?

You can bleed the master cylinder when on the car. Just crack the pipes and put a rag underneath. It'll save having to pull it off again.

Easiest technique for this?

2 people - Person A under the car with spanners for the pipe nuts coming out of the master (and rags to contain fluid), Person B in the car for the pedal and topping up fluid.

LINE 10 Person B pumps up the pedal 6 times holds down the pedal and yell "DOWN" then tops up master cylinder resevoir

LINE 20 Person A cracks of the pipe nut (with rag wrapped around pipe and M/Cyl to catch fluid spray) and when fluid has stopped squirting he tightens the nut and yells "PUMP"

If fluid is coming out all spattery sounding THEN GOTO 10

ELSE tighten pipe nuts and washes off brake fluid with water to save corrosion

THEN bleed brakes all around

Should be sweet after this...

i have found a trick that works also release both bleed nipples at the front top up the fluid then sit down and have a few beers the while gravity lets the fluid slowley go down the brake lines and leak out the nipples starts the fliud motion works well on minis which are a bastard to bleed too