1938 Allis Chalmers B

CaMpylobacter

Welcome Along.

Discussion fred //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/34894-cams-ancient-paddock-whore-named-allis/page__hl__%2Ballis+%2Bchalmers

So, a few weeks ago my bro was offered a look at an 'old tractor' by an old girl down the road from his in-laws. We decided to wander out for a look.

Story goes: This joker's family acquired the tractor at some sage. Whether from new or not I'm not entirely sure. It wasn't too old either way.

He married in 1941 and a quarter acre section was fenced off or him and his bride, and they built a house. The tractor became his, and it was run on the farm until his death ~2 years ago.

His daughter that lives in Palmy recently decided it was time to put the house on the market, so that's where we came in.

We scooted out to bulls to the old cottage, residing in the shed in all it's splendor was the tractor.

Also out in the paddock was a trailer made from Totara posts. It's main function was to carry a Bamford stationary engine which powered the ome made sawbench that was also mounted to the trailer.

We offered a sum to the woman and ended up with the tractor and the bamford.

Fired it up after some fettling, whacked it on the trailer, then took it back to my lockup.

Came with all the handbooks, papers, and even the certificate of registration when it was registered for use on the road in 1946!

Yesterday I decided to bring it home give it a bit of a degrease, and start replacing the exhaust manifold, which has hole all over it plugged with self tapping screws and various random brass fittings and small cutouts from a sheet of tin.

Got halfway home and it started running like balls and stopped. Seems the float isn't closing and floods tthe poor thing. other than that and the noise caused by the knackered manifold it runs like a champ!

Being a really early B, it has no electrics, aside from the Magneto ignition. No battery, no generator, no lights, no instruments. Crank starting only is pretty lol when it floods itself!

It's pretty tiny. about 2/3 the size of a Massey Ferguson 35, which are smaall tractors to begin with.

Apologies for pooz camera phone pics (and lack of barnfind pics...) as I was rushing to get it in the shed before a massive rain downpour.

Plans are: new manifold, then kingpin bushes, perhaps some new rear tyres, and a paintjob.

281560_10151306193200348_1123018444_n.jpg

311128_10151306192930348_1158779756_n.jpg

602385_10151306193485348_608731865_n.jpg

the bamford engine's trailer was shot, so once that as home My bro tore it off there, and mounted it on a couple of wooden skids. Fuel flush, cleaned up the sparkplug, filled the cooling system with water, couple cranks and off she went.

385667_10151285801240348_1601158074_n.jpg

this thing's form the mid 40s. Stationary engines like this used to be used for electricity generation running shearing plants and dairy sheds, everything. It's a shame more didn't survive in nz because they're really fun to mess with. This one's a 2-1/4 Hp @ 1000rpm flat out EG2 model.

We're selling this, sadly, as we've no real desire to keep it (if it were a diesel i would) and would rather a collector or enthusiast had it. It's got all the handbooks with it too.

Will update as stuf gets done!

it's a pretty sweet little machine. I probably wont do a hell of a lot on it (I don't spend enough time on the projects I've already got) so in the long term it'll live at my bro's place.

Should be a sweet little artefact to accompany our Austin truck, when we collect and restore that.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to order a manifold and shit at the moment. Tractor guys are weirder than citroen guys.

has been booked to pull a float in the feildign christmas parade lol.

so easy to work on! everything's at standing height!

Have removed bonnet to get carb/manifold/air cleaner off.

will continue this weekend tidying the sid eof the block of all the built up crud from spilling oil when topping it up over the years, and ready it for the new manifold etc

only one manifold nut was seized but whole stud wound out easily. so awesome

carb is basic as shit and all in good nick, jsut full of goop.

from there all it should need it a tappet adjustment just coz it probably hasn't had one in decades, new rubber joiners for the radiator pipes, coolant and oils changed, idle mixture set, new plugs and leads, and a fan belt, and it's sorted, til we paint it.

mint!

• 1 month later...

Slammed new manifold on. Runs like a champ with new one + tidied up carb.

Have a bit of an issue with the muffler to manifold joint. tis a bit of a weird setup so might need to spin up a collar on the lathe and go about it that way....

All the Beaners in 'merica chuck huge chrome stacks on them like this

114702-1.jpg

but bugger that.

This thing's a little rowdy with a tiny diameter Coby of filth on it and when it gets hot it's started shooting the fibreglass packing out... I'll probably hit up a TEA ferguson one as they're nice and compact.

Also, had an issue with the gearbox. When I was running it the few km back to my lockup, I heard a rumbling noise, then the gearbox locked up. Stopped, check the other 2 forward, and one reverse gear and it was sweet. Moved off again and top was sweet. At idle when the gearbox is hot it has a weird intermittent rumble so figured it must have shat a bearing due to low oil or something.

Popped the filler plug out of the gearbox last night only to find that it's been filled to the brim with a semi fluid grease instead of the 30wt oil that's meant to be in there! I assume sustained flat_out running in top gear starves the bearings of lubrication a bit. Hoping to drop some of that crud out, fill with diesel, go for a burn then drop it all and refill with oil. Hopefully all the seals are still intact enough to keep the oil in there! That may be why it's been filled with grease! At worst we'll just need to split it and chuck some bearings in there. I'm sure the gears and shit will be mint.

Will update with some pics maybe later in the week.

Chur!

• 10 months later...

holy crap. thought I'd bump this. 

fired it up last night. 2 quick quarter pulls on the crank handle. hasn't been going for a while. lush.

searching for some tyres for the rear (I don't want to buy new ones at this stage as I am loath to putting cheap ass ones on it for wankfactor reasons) and need one for front and a couple of front rims if I can find them. 

who knows anything about tractor pulls? 

• Like 1

ALSO: reading back through the thread I realised I didn't put anything in about work on the gearbox. 
A few months ago I drained the gearbox. it'd been filled with semi fluid grease. Got a couple of litres worht out, then filled with a petrol/diesel shandy we had at work, ran it for a minute, drain, repeat, then let it continue draining overnight. 

refilled it with 80w90 trans oil (it's meant to have sae30 engine oil but without rear hydraulics you can run thicker gear oil if you want) and now it runs so much quieter in the diff/gearbox, shifts gear super easy, and most importantly, doesn't have any bearing rumble and doesn't lock up!

Spent a bit of time hooning round at my old man's place on it after I'd done the gearbox making sure it'd be sweet. even did some heavy towing over some pretty soft ground. awesome. 

more to come!

• Like 4