yoeddynz

DIY Fuel injection thread.

Recommended Posts

On 19/11/2018 at 21:26, linearentropy said:

stuff

Google the DIYBOB from the megasquirt people, its basically the female plugs that your standard loom normally plugs into the ECU, and then goes to a break out board where you can wire in something else nicely. I've got one, havent used it but its a nice piece of kit haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Roman said:

Google the DIYBOB from the megasquirt people, its basically the female plugs that your standard loom normally plugs into the ECU, and then goes to a break out board where you can wire in something else nicely. I've got one, havent used it but its a nice piece of kit haha.

I had a look at that a while back.  I think the better option for me is to buy just the female plug & work from there.  

Finished up my wiring table this morning.  It seems like I might need to step up to a monsoon in order to have launch control & spare inputs for the future.  The atom doesn't quite have enough inputs for running everything I want, including a map sensor for before the ITBs go on.   This of course brings the costs up a bit more than I would have liked, for the chance I fuck it up and cook something in the ECU or car.  It makes the Haltech that little bit more tempting.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could offload some of the IO to canbus on the Atom.

Like it might be more cost effective to buy an Atom + Can wideband than a Monsoon + analog wideband. 

Canbus is like the secret back door, on top of the predefined things you can send to ECU over can you can also have 8 virtual analog inputs and 8 virtual digital inputs. 
Then use an Arduino Mega or something to give yourself a whole bunch of 0-5v inputs and switches etc.

Which is an absolute shit load above the 3 analog inputs and 2 digital inputs it comes with standard! 

And that you can output essentially as much as you want from the ECU as well.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what I'll be spending the rest of my work day researching then.  I love the idea of logging anything and everything like you do on your Carina, especially if it can be done without breaking the bank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely, its amazing how your troubleshooting process changes when you have good data/logs. 

Like so many times somethings been not quite right, look at laptop, then before even opening the engine bay you already know what's wrong and are on way to fixing it. 

If you go down that path I can show you the ropes for some basic code for sending analog and switches etc over Can from an Arduino if you want.
Like its easy to put it in a little case and have it as an IO box that only needs 2 wires to ECU to send a whole bunch of stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a bit of a poke around the Arduino site & documentation.  Its something i've wanted to get into for years but I never had any practical use for one until now.  I'll definitely take you up on that if i go down that path.

Just to make my decision harder, Haltech just started a black friday sale, 15% off most of their products.

Fingers crossed a Link dealer over here does the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haltech is well marketed but incredibly average especially for the price.

Do not want

Plug and play is a good drawcard though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plug & play is obviously a big selling point for me.  The other being the number of inputs & outputs you seem to get on even the mid tier products.  14 user definable inputs on the Elite 1000, + 4 for trigger & map.  

Just realised customs would have their way with me if I bought one though.  That alone is enough to give it a miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd heard the name before and just assumed they were a 'second tier' ecu, for lack of a better word.  Also I hadn't realised they had a plug & play.  Looks like it ticks pretty much all of my boxes except alternator control, which I've just messaged them about.   Unfortunately it looks like the only NZ dealer listed on their site seems to have moved on from selling their products, and I'm not overly keen on dealing with customs on a purchase that big if it can be avoided.

What in your opinion makes it a superior product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They guy Andy who runs and owns Adaptronic is one of the smartest people in the multiverse. 

They are boss level ECUs because Andy properly understands all of the phenomena which make an engine work. 

However, it does suffer from some of the quirks of having been designed by primarily by an "Engineer" like apparently the UI leaves a bit to be desired in the tuning software. 

The tuning program is called Eugene. Alrighty then. haha.

I wouldnt mind having a hoon on a Modular to be honest! They look sweet. They've got cool shit like a 4 channel onboard scope that you can use on lots of the different inputs and outputs. (I think)

How are they priced though? Never looked into it.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Roman said:

They guy Andy who runs and owns Adaptronic is one of the smartest people in the multiverse. 

They are boss level ECUs because Andy properly understands all of the phenomena which make an engine work. 

However, it does suffer from some of the quirks of having been designed by primarily by an "Engineer" like apparently the UI leaves a bit to be desired in the tuning software. 

The tuning program is called Eugene. Alrighty then. haha.

I wouldnt mind having a hoon on a Modular to be honest! They look sweet. They've got cool shit like a 4 channel onboard scope that you can use on lots of the different inputs and outputs. (I think)

How are they priced though? Never looked into it.
 

I've been quietly lurking this thread for ages, haven't really had much to add but definitely have to agree with all this from what I've seen so far.

I've not been able to convince anyone to be a modular ECU guinea pig so haven't had much need to do more than have a bit of a fiddle with the software as Andy sent me some things to look over with IMAP/EMAP data & mapping to aid with a convo we were having - in my limited time playing with it I managed to give his devs a couple of bugs to look over, one being a consistent crash I managed to bring up.   I'd expect the firmware is more stable than that, but being a dev myself things like that do get my heckles up somewhat but they don't have a bad rep so I'm sure I just managed to catch it at a bad moment.

There is some very cool stuff going on with the Modular ECUs, and the fuel modelling etc is much nicer than what a lot of people would be used to when using "popular" choices... I'd say certain aspects are much more like what you'd expect with Emtron/Motec than Link/Haltech stuff - if you've played with such things.  It's definitely a thing I'd love to play with more.  They don't seem to be an "entry level" ECU like some would imagine.

Prices: https://adaptronicecu.com/collections/all-ecus

Someone buy one and tell us how they go ;)  I don't have an appropriate car myself, so all I can offer this discussion is all care and no responsibility.


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roman said:

However, it does suffer from some of the quirks of having been designed by primarily by an "Engineer" like apparently the UI leaves a bit to be desired in the tuning software. 

That could end up being a good thing for me. I'm a developer by trade, so I'm used to software with questionable UI.

Unfortunately It'll end up costing 2000nzd + gst to get one by the look of it.  Literally double the cost wiring up a Link which I find hard to justify on a MX5. Especially when its only for dorts & not power. 

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Someone buy one and tell us how they go ;)  I don't have an appropriate car myself, so all I can offer this discussion is all care and no responsibility.

Wish it could be me.  But its unlikely unless the boss is feeling flush come bonus time, if there even is a bonus time this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing i need to ask if youre buying an ECU, is what is the preferred ECU for your tuner? You dont want to end up with an ECU your tuner doesnt want to work with, unless you're prepared to travel or tune it yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats exactly why I've ruled out Megasquirt.   Theres a 'uuuuge community online of MX5 owners that run megasquirt, even people that build custom boards tailored to exactly what fellow hairdressers need.  These are usually priced very competitively too. 

Unfortunately if you ask about them on the nz mx5 facebook pages you'll find that theres only really a couple of people in NZ that bother to tune them, and theres a lot of people with blown motors who wouldnt recommend going to said tuners after learning the hard way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2018 at 18:46, linearentropy said:

Thats exactly why I've ruled out Megasquirt.   Theres a 'uuuuge community online of MX5 owners that run megasquirt, even people that build custom boards tailored to exactly what fellow hairdressers need.  These are usually priced very competitively too. 

Unfortunately if you ask about them on the nz mx5 facebook pages you'll find that theres only really a couple of people in NZ that bother to tune them, and theres a lot of people with blown motors who wouldnt recommend going to said tuners after learning the hard way.

wat, just tune it yourself, its not that hard

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.