DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

4 hours ago, Roman said:

We've had this conversation in this thread before.
At some point I'll man up, get my soldering iron out and build my very own ecu kit. Then I'll understand the true feeling of wonderment that the creation gives. 

Good on you. You can do it! That's the spirit  :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Roman said:

My understanding is that there's a Teensy 3.6 port of the Speeduino coming out at some stage, this thing will be friggen amazing. 

Will be more powerful than my $$ Link ECU and has a decent amount of IO.

My ECU is 2x 40mhz processors, Teensy 3.6 is 120mhz with floating point processor, eeprom and other cool shit.

Might give one of those a hoon one day when someone else has done the hard work already haha.

Yeah that's the one I'm now watching after you'd messaged me about it. I just hope they will release a board that has at least 6 injector drivers for my next project!... 

• Like 2

There is no such thing as overkill

3 injectors for idle and low revs, 3 outboard for high RPM.

And the other six, you ask? Well they're for the separate methanol fuel system. Flip a switch and it swaps to the meth tune for MOAR POWAR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Have been loosely following this thread as my interest to DIY EFI comes and goes. My last EFI conversion was just using parts from the wreckers and I reckon the EFI conversion aspect of my swap was only around $200.

For my next project (whenever this will ever happen) I need an ECU that:
- has 6x injector drivers for sequential injection (though could settle for 3x batched fire if the ECU can do everything else I need)
- has 6x ignition drivers for individual spark (just to retain the stock coils rather than convert to wasted spark)
- control for VVT (simple rpm actuated switch), along with control for fuel pump, fans, A/C disconnect at WOT
- MAP sensor input preferred but can do AFM if need be.
- single knock sensor input required
- support for e-throttle, I would like to retain the factory throttle body or use a similar era throttle body that is generic enough.

I can assemble and wire up no problem, but am not against a fully assembled solution

Speeduino looks good apart from only 4x injector/ignition drivers. Is MS3 still considered a good DIY EFI solution in 2020?

@Ned what happened to the ECU you were developing?

yeah slightly annoyingly speeduino wont run full sequential on more than 4.  I'm hoping that with the power from  teensy cpu that can now plug in with the adaptor someone (nerdy) might use the proto area on the board and add an extra couple of injectors along with relevant updated firmware. That's beyond me though...

I'll still go down the speeduino route with a few others because semi sequential on a 6 is still pretty fucking good especially if its just a NA street car. Worked fine on the Viva v6 but I just always liked the idea of a potentially even better idle and slow speed economy full sequential could deliver (with the extra time spent to tune it thus)

@fuel you could build an MS2 and use the daughter board to run full sequential. But e throttle wouldnt be a thing.

1 hour ago, fuel said:

Speeduino looks good apart from only 4x injector/ignition drivers. Is MS3 still considered a good DIY EFI solution in 2020?

@Ned what happened to the ECU you were developing?

dug it out a few days ago. Sitting literally next to me on my desk hahaha

edit:

RusEFI has e-throttle support 

• Like 1

Just out of genuine interest,

who here would happily buy a car with a lower end/home built ECU in it and would it factor in to how much you are willing to pay for the car?

I feel like this could be a good topic for discussion.

i think there is a small margin of people that would actually care?

if it runs and drives well, then joe bloggs wont give a fuck?
if its someone that loves to tinker then as long as its at least well documented and runs some well supported code etc, then i dont think its any different to a micro/mega squirt
if someone wants to get the car and pay a man to tune it to squeeze every last ounce of power out, and that man will only work with a link/haltec etc then old mate money bags can pay the extra $$$ to put a link in if he really wants?

I think whether or not it has a good tune in it is going to be the real deciding factor there..... nobody going to pay max dollars for a car with a shit tune, regardless of how flash the ECU

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ajg193 said:

Just out of genuine interest,

who here would happily buy a car with a lower end/home built ECU in it and would it factor in to how much you are willing to pay for the car?

I feel like this could be a good topic for discussion.

I think whatever ECU you have, it neither adds nor detracts value from your car.
I agree with Ned, if it runs and drives then people dont care.
It's also amazing how many people are willing to live with things like awful cold start, poor idle etc because they think its like a race car.
Usually people buy "weekend" cars emotionally and an ECU isnt that exciting to most people, compare to say, cool wheels or a nice paint job.

At the other end of the spectrum, possibly a much worse scenario. 
I've got my nerd spec expensive ECU which doesnt add any value to my car either.
It would absolutely go to waste if someone bought the car and just drove it around and never plugged the cable back into it.
Because a lot of the value that it adds for me, is with logging functions and lots of spare IO to play around with and so on.

• Like 3

I was thinking more along the lines of poorly assembled MS1 units that have a reputation for causing nightmares.

But yeah, I can't really understand why someone wouldn't sort out their cold running/starting on an EFI system. I guess the state of tune is generally a good indicator of whether a good job was done building or installing the system

At my old work I dealt with a few cars running ancient Link ECUs. A couple were track cars, one was installed beautifully and ran mint, was was pretty bad and needed a lot of rewiring and tuning to run right. The old Links are less capable than a MS2. The ecu matters significantly less than the quality of install.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've also seen plenty of cars with engine conversions, running the factory computer will all sorts of issues because the wiring has been done so bad. If you can't gauge the quality of work carried out on a car within a few minutes of looking at it, you shouldn't be buying a modified car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing that kind of grinds my gears is when people go on about how EFI will just magically make your car start and run mint and that tuning is really easy and simple.

Maybe I'm just stupid but I find the tuning process rather complicated when it comes to working out the little kinds, but I enjoy doing that so it's fine.

"Oh cool, you installed EFI on the car that means it will make for really easy starting under all conditions"

When in actuality it is more like you spend ages adjusting little parameters so that you eventually get it to work perfectly under pretty much all conditions. I feel like the remaining 10% on EFI tuning takes 90% of the effort/knowledge

my dads s110 circuit car came with a link V1. aside from the bleed valve we discovered hidden away and wound right up (it was leased in the past as its last track time) which fcked the motor. 

it started and ran awesomely. its going to be a shame to see it go, as weve put an sr20 in its place since z18et parts are so hard to get. 

it was a real period correct piece with that computer. weve since sourced parts to repair it, so hopefully itll get sold as a package and can go live in someomes sick b110 or something

• Like 1

haha, my car runs and drives liek a bag of dicks and was way better with factory carbs :P but it hast he POTENTIAL to be great ;)

This was always a temp ECU, as it was broken and we hot glued some components in there and 'dead bug' soldered them to the board to make it work, so we only ever tuned WOT for drag racing... That temp fix is still running today, and we did that 5.5 years ago, so i've been running a BADLY tuned car for 5.5 years because i dont wanna spend time tuning something thats going in the bin anyway

i have no pics, but this is dead bug style soldering;

BoardworX

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, ajg193 said:

Another thing that kind of grinds my gears is when people go on about how EFI will just magically make your car start and run mint and that tuning is really easy and simple.

Maybe I'm just stupid but I find the tuning process rather complicated when it comes to working out the little kinds, but I enjoy doing that so it's fine.

"Oh cool, you installed EFI on the car that means it will make for really easy starting under all conditions"

When in actuality it is more like you spend ages adjusting little parameters so that you eventually get it to work perfectly under pretty much all conditions. I feel like the remaining 10% on EFI tuning takes 90% of the effort/knowledge

You might also find that the last 10% is dealing with the limitations of things like batch fired injection.
In my opinion, the common tuning tasks from easiest to hardest:

1. Full throttle max power 
2. Half throttle area max power
3. Idle
4. Cold starts
5. Transients
6. closed loop wideband
7. Having your ECU configured correctly for your engine, before you even punch in a single number into a fuel or ign table.
8. Genuinely good altitude/temperature compensation
9. Fuel economy optimization

It can definitely feel like you change one variable and then it's pulling on a strand of a spiders web... affects everything else. 
Having the correct injector data for example, can make night and day difference to how well all of your compensation tables work.

• Like 3