DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

Definitely, its amazing how your troubleshooting process changes when you have good data/logs. 

Like so many times somethings been not quite right, look at laptop, then before even opening the engine bay you already know what's wrong and are on way to fixing it. 

If you go down that path I can show you the ropes for some basic code for sending analog and switches etc over Can from an Arduino if you want.
Like its easy to put it in a little case and have it as an IO box that only needs 2 wires to ECU to send a whole bunch of stuff.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bit of a poke around the Arduino site & documentation.  Its something i've wanted to get into for years but I never had any practical use for one until now.  I'll definitely take you up on that if i go down that path.

Just to make my decision harder, Haltech just started a black friday sale, 15% off most of their products.

Fingers crossed a Link dealer over here does the same.

The plug & play is obviously a big selling point for me.  The other being the number of inputs & outputs you seem to get on even the mid tier products.  14 user definable inputs on the Elite 1000, + 4 for trigger & map.  

Just realised customs would have their way with me if I bought one though.  That alone is enough to give it a miss.

I'd heard the name before and just assumed they were a 'second tier' ecu, for lack of a better word.  Also I hadn't realised they had a plug & play.  Looks like it ticks pretty much all of my boxes except alternator control, which I've just messaged them about.   Unfortunately it looks like the only NZ dealer listed on their site seems to have moved on from selling their products, and I'm not overly keen on dealing with customs on a purchase that big if it can be avoided.

What in your opinion makes it a superior product?

They guy Andy who runs and owns Adaptronic is one of the smartest people in the multiverse. 

They are boss level ECUs because Andy properly understands all of the phenomena which make an engine work. 

However, it does suffer from some of the quirks of having been designed by primarily by an "Engineer" like apparently the UI leaves a bit to be desired in the tuning software. 

The tuning program is called Eugene. Alrighty then. haha.

I wouldnt mind having a hoon on a Modular to be honest! They look sweet. They've got cool shit like a 4 channel onboard scope that you can use on lots of the different inputs and outputs. (I think)

How are they priced though? Never looked into it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roman said:

They guy Andy who runs and owns Adaptronic is one of the smartest people in the multiverse. 

They are boss level ECUs because Andy properly understands all of the phenomena which make an engine work. 

However, it does suffer from some of the quirks of having been designed by primarily by an "Engineer" like apparently the UI leaves a bit to be desired in the tuning software. 

The tuning program is called Eugene. Alrighty then. haha.

I wouldnt mind having a hoon on a Modular to be honest! They look sweet. They've got cool shit like a 4 channel onboard scope that you can use on lots of the different inputs and outputs. (I think)

How are they priced though? Never looked into it.

I've been quietly lurking this thread for ages, haven't really had much to add but definitely have to agree with all this from what I've seen so far.

I've not been able to convince anyone to be a modular ECU guinea pig so haven't had much need to do more than have a bit of a fiddle with the software as Andy sent me some things to look over with IMAP/EMAP data & mapping to aid with a convo we were having - in my limited time playing with it I managed to give his devs a couple of bugs to look over, one being a consistent crash I managed to bring up.   I'd expect the firmware is more stable than that, but being a dev myself things like that do get my heckles up somewhat but they don't have a bad rep so I'm sure I just managed to catch it at a bad moment.

There is some very cool stuff going on with the Modular ECUs, and the fuel modelling etc is much nicer than what a lot of people would be used to when using "popular" choices... I'd say certain aspects are much more like what you'd expect with Emtron/Motec than Link/Haltech stuff - if you've played with such things.  It's definitely a thing I'd love to play with more.  They don't seem to be an "entry level" ECU like some would imagine.

Prices: https://adaptronicecu.com/collections/all-ecus

Someone buy one and tell us how they go ;)  I don't have an appropriate car myself, so all I can offer this discussion is all care and no responsibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

That could end up being a good thing for me. I'm a developer by trade, so I'm used to software with questionable UI.

Unfortunately It'll end up costing 2000nzd + gst to get one by the look of it.  Literally double the cost wiring up a Link which I find hard to justify on a MX5. Especially when its only for dorts & not power. 

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Someone buy one and tell us how they go ;)  I don't have an appropriate car myself, so all I can offer this discussion is all care and no responsibility.

Wish it could be me.  But its unlikely unless the boss is feeling flush come bonus time, if there even is a bonus time this year.

Thats exactly why I've ruled out Megasquirt.   Theres a 'uuuuge community online of MX5 owners that run megasquirt, even people that build custom boards tailored to exactly what fellow hairdressers need.  These are usually priced very competitively too. 

Unfortunately if you ask about them on the nz mx5 facebook pages you'll find that theres only really a couple of people in NZ that bother to tune them, and theres a lot of people with blown motors who wouldnt recommend going to said tuners after learning the hard way.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2018 at 18:46, linearentropy said:

Thats exactly why I've ruled out Megasquirt.   Theres a 'uuuuge community online of MX5 owners that run megasquirt, even people that build custom boards tailored to exactly what fellow hairdressers need.  These are usually priced very competitively too. 

Unfortunately if you ask about them on the nz mx5 facebook pages you'll find that theres only really a couple of people in NZ that bother to tune them, and theres a lot of people with blown motors who wouldnt recommend going to said tuners after learning the hard way.

wat, just tune it yourself, its not that hard

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, kws said:

Fuel is easy, especially with auto tune, but getting ignition just right without a dyno/knock gear is a lot harder.

While it is easy to get your AFR's to whatever arbitrary value you have decided you want, it doesn't mean you will get optimal power/efficiency.

You really should use a dyno for the tuning, only using the road to configure the model for maximum tune robustness (temperature curves etc).

/says the person who is running a car with a pure road tune.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2018 at 19:51, Honda Ass Dragger said:

From what i hear Emtron is very much a Link ala Vipec

There are some stories of skullduggery which could explain some similarities in the software between Links and Emtrons, but like it or not the Emtron is a different product from a different brand and a definite level up from the Link...  while Vipec being "very much a Link" is actually because they are Links.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2018 at 18:46, linearentropy said:

Right. 

Let's quash this right here. There is a dude on mx5 pages who is very vocal about megasquirts on mx5s. 

His name is Daniel heaphy, he may be on there, I don't care id say all this to his face. 

He bashes on megasquirt like you wouldn't belive, yet has never owned one. Just read stories online and 'has mates who blew up their engine cause of megasquirt' 

He speels off all this bullshit and then when the large amout of mx5 megasquirt runners and supporters steam roll his arguments he deletes the threads cause he's a moderator. 

He does this all while running 272 cams on a stock ecu/engine. He's not a smart man. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2