DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

10 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Keep the updates coming. How much have you spent on it so far? Been having thoughts about using my one on either the Viva or the Imp down the line ..but must actually finish Imp first!

Case
Map sensor
Arduino Mega 2560
GM air temp sensor with Pigtail
Speedunino Component kit
Speedunino V0.4 PCB

$272.56Aud

I have a wideband that I got a few years back for my track car (which is still being built in NZ) and I had a soldering setup plus other tools already

Could have probably got the components cheaper if I shopped around but got them via the speedunio store as I like supporting it :)

Still pretty cheap

• Like 5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm wanting to finally setup an aftermarket ecu in my 2000 mx5 so i can have a tinker before throwing some silvertop ITBs on, but sadly Link doesn't offer a plug & play solution.   

There is a Megasquirt plug&play out of the states, however tuner support here seems to be quite limited and while I will attempt to get a decent road tune going myself, I still want to be able to take it to a tuner to have checked over.   Haltech makes a pnp solution that seems perfect until I saw the $2000+ price tag. So I've decided to try build my own patch loom to bridge the mazda loom into the Link loom to run an G4+ Atom.  

I'm currently whipping up a table to map the oem pins to those on the link plug, similar to whats done here (scroll to bottom, them 99-00 to see a diagram).  I've already factored in alternator control with this ebay spec board, and made sure my injectors are high impedance as required by Link. 

Aaaaaaand this is where I fall flat on my face.   Is the any foreseeable issue in just buying a ecu plug off rsonline, buying the Link patch loom and essentially connecting the dots? Im beyond useless with circuits, so I cant make heads or tails of the things I've seen online.  If I have to start adding in resistors here & transistors there I might just bite the bullet and get one wired in, but I should be capable enough to build a mini patch loom.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, linearentropy said:

Aaaaaaand this is where I fall flat on my face.   Is the any foreseeable issue in just buying a ecu plug off rsonline, buying the Link patch loom and essentially connecting the dots? Im beyond useless with circuits, so I cant make heads or tails of the things I've seen online.  If I have to start adding in resistors here & transistors there I might just bite the bullet and get one wired in, but I should be capable enough to build a mini patch loom.

I can see no reason for this not work work, its basically exactly what a patch harness is. Just make sure everything goes to the correct pins and it should work.

On 19/11/2018 at 21:26, linearentropy said:

stuff

Google the DIYBOB from the megasquirt people, its basically the female plugs that your standard loom normally plugs into the ECU, and then goes to a break out board where you can wire in something else nicely. I've got one, havent used it but its a nice piece of kit haha.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roman said:

Google the DIYBOB from the megasquirt people, its basically the female plugs that your standard loom normally plugs into the ECU, and then goes to a break out board where you can wire in something else nicely. I've got one, havent used it but its a nice piece of kit haha.

I had a look at that a while back.  I think the better option for me is to buy just the female plug & work from there.  

Finished up my wiring table this morning.  It seems like I might need to step up to a monsoon in order to have launch control & spare inputs for the future.  The atom doesn't quite have enough inputs for running everything I want, including a map sensor for before the ITBs go on.   This of course brings the costs up a bit more than I would have liked, for the chance I fuck it up and cook something in the ECU or car.  It makes the Haltech that little bit more tempting.   

• Like 1

You could offload some of the IO to canbus on the Atom.

Like it might be more cost effective to buy an Atom + Can wideband than a Monsoon + analog wideband. 

Canbus is like the secret back door, on top of the predefined things you can send to ECU over can you can also have 8 virtual analog inputs and 8 virtual digital inputs. 
Then use an Arduino Mega or something to give yourself a whole bunch of 0-5v inputs and switches etc.

Which is an absolute shit load above the 3 analog inputs and 2 digital inputs it comes with standard! 

And that you can output essentially as much as you want from the ECU as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1