• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

You've clearly made your mind up. 

And your making the same errors others including myself already have 

I'm not saying that I won't do it in the future. I just have more important stuff on my plate at the moment. Maybe in half a year or so once I've sorted through some of life's hurdles. / I'll let it mull away in the back of my mind to figure how I can do it with retaining as factory of a look as possible - which could potentially involve coils within the distributor cap and have the signals go through the centre wire, etc. The main thing is that it is currently perfectly usable and the system is reliable so I have no urgent requirement to change it.

When I do it I want to do it right.

Also, you say you made the mistake. What exactly was the problem you had with triggering from the standard ignition?

I cant judge, my Vitesse is running a standard coil, through a locked out distributor (advance controlled by link) and runs like a bloody charm. I have heard there are issues with crossfiring or something when using this setup, but its working for me for now.

On 2/9/2018 at 21:35, ajg193 said:

I'll just keep it how it is for about 10 years. I'd probably never save enough fuel to financially justify ecu controlled ignition.

Its not just economy that can be improved. Its how much smoother it could be made. I'm sure there will be decent power gains too. Plus its another fun thing that you can get to tune on the laptop!

I'd suggest you could probably get the parts for free if you search. Especially if as suggested you try a Subie setup. So many of them out there. There's probably many at your local scrap man /council metal recycling depot etc.

Treat as a mission to search and locate the parts for free!

You could definitely get that shit for free. Especially since the wasted spark setup came on base spec imprezzas with turbo ones getting coil packs. 

Hell I'll give you one of my spare ignitors for free. 

On another note. My engine and tuning seems to be going well, but I've noticed that if I'm being lazy and turning the engine on to move the car in and out of the shed it'll fowl one or two plugs and run like balls untill I clean them or sometimes drive around enough that it clears up. 

Where do I look to fix this? It's not showing rich at idle (though could be from blipping throttle to move in and out) 

Hotter plugs? Tuning? Something to do with the blower? 

1 hour ago, BlownCorona said:

You could definitely get that shit for free. Especially since the wasted spark setup came on base spec imprezzas with turbo ones getting coil packs. 

Hell I'll give you one of my spare ignitors for free. 

On another note. My engine and tuning seems to be going well, but I've noticed that if I'm being lazy and turning the engine on to move the car in and out of the shed it'll fowl one or two plugs and run like balls untill I clean them or sometimes drive around enough that it clears up. 

Where do I look to fix this? It's not showing rich at idle (though could be from blipping throttle to move in and out) 

Hotter plugs? Tuning? Something to do with the blower? 

Too rich on start up?

I had similar issues at idle for long periods, one grade hotter plugs cured it, although that was on a warm engine

Do any of you guys use an android tablet/an app for reading the mega squirt as a removable in car dash? I have a 2014 nexus 7 and used msdroid in the past, but msdroid became super flaky and the nexus seems real slow these days.

considering selling the nexus and getting a newer tablet/ also considering new software

I too have been considering this for the future. I used to use my Note 2 with MS droid and it would work fine except the connection would drop out. Apparently its a problem using a cable. Better using bluetooth I think I read.

Would be super cool to have it setup running as a centre dash display on a cheap tablet. could store music etc too and have a neat setup. Make it slide away so not on display all the time.

I find driving more enjoyable with all of the data displaying stuff completely turned off. So much less stress when I'm not worrying about instantaneous fuel consumption or sensor heat soak or AFR.

Having too much information available is distracting, tbh. Probably worse than texting while driving.

More of a chance to enjoy driving the car instead of operating a computer.

But when it comes to tuning time or troubleshooting it is great to have all of that stuff.

• Like 1

I agree 100% 

Especially at track days, I could happily replace all of my instrumentation with just a single "idiot light" that flashes in my face if there's a reason I need to stop or slow down.

My daily driver doesnt even have a tacho and only has a light that comes on if coolant gets too hot. Not even a gauge. 

And it's fine. 

• Like 1

I bought a little 10 in 1 display from just race parts in aussie and it shows everything you'd really need to know on the fly, with programable alarms and the option for one big idiot light too. 

https://www.justraceparts.com.au/10in1-automotive-digital-oled-multi-gauge-display

Gotta get the control unit and sensors too, all up was 240nzd shipped. 

I've not fully installed it yet but I'm pretty happy with it so far 

IMAG0099_1.jpg

11 hours ago, peteretep said:

OK, so no one has advice for tablet or apps

@yoeddynz I will look into the bluetooth thing, but my msdroid would just crap the bed all the time and was unusable, especially if I added a non-standard gauge. I will do some more research on the other megasquirt apps

Yeah mine would work fine for a while and then the connection would drop. The other thing was that sometimes the gauges on the display would change size and not fit the screen. I think a combination of the serial to USB convertor and its rates (remember I was on poverty spec MS2...) not working well with the android phone and the MSdroid still being a bit 'beta' ? 

It would be awesome if Phil Tobin could produce a Tunnerstudio to work with android. He has talked about it but far too much changes in the code/different operating systems/I have no idea as I aint a computer nerd ?

the one thing that stopped me from going down this path you are looking at, and led me to get that little OLED screen monitor, was that have you actually tried to read a tablet in sunlight?

its either shining the sun in your face or just pure glare. or put it down low out of the light and youll just see a reflection of your interior. 

The tablet is legit in my car, its not been a problem. Looking at reviews on other tablets yesterday though, it looks like some do suffer from poor brightness or too much reflection, so probably worth considering when looking

I'm not sure a windows tablet and tunerstudio would be any good tbh, its hard enough fiddling with a laptop in a car, and you have a trackpad, using a tablet with a mouse sounds horrible