• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

Distributor drives pump.

I'll cry if no distributor.

One crank wheel + sensor = far cheaper than coil packs

Man, coil packs are cheap. Just grab one from a subaru or VW at pick a part and then you have a sweet setup.

Coil packs new don't cost much either. 

I just used a secondhand pack from a misti. Take a spare on long journeys if you're worried but really..  anything could can fail on your car if you start stressing about perceived reliability. 

Proper full efficient engine management for the win. 

• Like 2

These are cheap as anything and easy to wire up. They are smart coils so have integrated ignitor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coil-032905106-032905106B-221603006-221603009-for-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda/162859466227?hash=item25eb2e3df3:g:vNwAAOSwEVZaYXV2&vxp=mtr

Only issue is needing custom leads as the terminals on the coil end are similar to LS1, but not really an issue.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend an ignition only system for my V-TWIN scooter im switching to mikuni flatslide carby's soon.

I have a 12v charging system onboard now to run the fuel pump and other bits and pieces. at present it's just magneto's so no ignition curve and its only setup to run to 3800rpm.

Planning to use this engine in a small jetboat eventually so a well setup ignition to match with more revs will be needed.

Looking at a Megajolt anyone used this setup?

On 2/4/2018 at 07:54, ajg193 said:

Second hand stuff can GTFO, had too much trouble with second hand stuff breaking.

take it from me, i have actualy had my ecu running through my locked dizzy, and even triggered it off the points. 

it works

it also fucking sucks.

leave the dizzy there (or chop it down and make it look nice) as the pump needs the drive, but ditch that shit and go to pick a part and rob the coil and ignitor from a subi imprezza. wasted spark setup in one coilpack. 2nd hand is fine, just check the odo and make sure it hasnt done 500,000kms

currently i have a trigger wheel hidden inside my dizzy, it works fine, but i am going to switch to a proper crank trigger, as precise timing is more crucial with un intercooled boost!

• Like 1

Nah bugger off kewnt.

I'll just keep it how it is for about 10 years. I'd probably never save enough fuel to financially justify ecu controlled ignition. Will be more of a "I'm bored, I have nothing else to do on anything. I may as well do something like that to appease people" thing.

30 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

There is no valid reason for not putting coil packs on it. 

Either build a concours car and put the carb back on or install modern computer ignition and reap the benefits of an old car with modern reliability. 

Well it has electronic ignition, so there shouldn't really be any issue with reliability.

• Haha 1