DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the cherry ones i used are pretty small, only 25mm long.     same body diameter as the  pink  60mm long version. that most people seem to use   

https://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/hall-effect-sensors/3076224/

https://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/hall-effect-sensors/7659321/

i couldnt find any useful vr sensors.      the hall gives a better output anyway.  just vr can handle more heat

3 minutes ago, Firetruck said:

Pretty sure you can buy an off-the-shelf reluctor conditioning module for stuff all, which would.make installation easier

Edit: I take that back. I couldn't find any.

You're correct, the circuit is simple, but my logic is the hall effect requires no additional gizmos, simpler and initially one less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Re MS

is there anyone in Auckland with megasquirt experience I can come bring all my shit to for help?

got it built, got it connected to tuner studio so ports setup, db9-USB works, and tuner sees it as an ECU.

tried to load up firmware, followed all the steps (jumper boot etc) it went threw all the steps and says it's loaded all the code lines into the pcb.

once it's written them says download failed, and response of (boot< response: what) press any button to continue, do that and the window closes.

ive now tried again and the ECU isn't powering up. I've got a board built I use for powering up PLC's for work so it's a reliable supply.

power it up, LED doesn't light up for two seconds any more, and I can't connect anymore.

if there's anyone with a lot of experience that can help please get in touch, I'm not far off throwing it in the bin haha

On 12/29/2017 at 22:12, Ash Kelly barr said:

Re MS

is there anyone in Auckland with megasquirt experience I can come bring all my shit to for help?

got it built, got it connected to tuner studio so ports setup, db9-USB works, and tuner sees it as an ECU.

tried to load up firmware, followed all the steps (jumper boot etc) it went threw all the steps and says it's loaded all the code lines into the pcb.

once it's written them says download failed, and response of (boot< response: what) press any button to continue, do that and the window closes.

ive now tried again and the ECU isn't powering up. I've got a board built I use for powering up PLC's for work so it's a reliable supply.

power it up, LED doesn't light up for two seconds any more, and I can't connect anymore.

if there's anyone with a lot of experience that can help please get in touch, I'm not far off throwing it in the bin haha

@downtrail can probably help. but i imagine hes close his shop up over the break period 

On 29/12/2017 at 22:12, Ash Kelly barr said:

Re MS

Hey mate. Yes i can take a look for you if youd like. Get in touch via facebook page. Www.facebook.com/cole.customs 

57 minutes ago, downtrail said:

Hey mate. Yes i can take a look for you if youd like. Get in touch via facebook page. Www.facebook.com/cole.customs 

Cheers dude. I spoke with jarred for MS NZ and I've ended up sending it to him to run diag and figure out what's going on.

appreciated the offer though dude 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, h4nd said:

@Ash Kelly barr please do let us know, I like learning what can happen with this stuff. Ta.

Sent it jarred at Megasquirt NZ. He successfully loaded up the data but has trigger input and some other issues. Time to fix it will cost money and TBH I'm pretty over it.

so if anyone wants to buy it make an offer before I throw it in the bin

cheers

22 hours ago, Ash Kelly barr said:

Sent it jarred at Megasquirt NZ. He successfully loaded up the data but has trigger input and some other issues. Time to fix it will cost money and TBH I'm pretty over it.

so if anyone wants to buy it make an offer before I throw it in the bin

cheers

I'd be keen to have a poke at troubleshooting it, I assume there are circuit diagrams about?

So as per arduino thread I've been building a tuning box thingy where I can adjust some knobs to optimise fuel, ign timing, vvti, and injector timing (or whatever else)

One thing I have been considering though is that I've currently got a goal AFR in the lean areas of around 15.2:1, I cant remember my rationale for this but it was probably because I was too chicken to run it leaner for starters, and this was as far as I migrated from 14.7:1 at low load before getting distracted by something else.

So, I might try lean it out further from here. One issue that I have considered though, is that when you run a really lean goal AFR the burn speed slows down a lot so you need more ignition timing. So that's great, except for if you now get a momentary rich region for whatever reason you're now possibly into knock territory. 

So what I have been thinking is that I will set a goal AFR in a few key cells in the cruising region with a 14.7:1 (or maybe slightly richer) goal AFR and optimise the ignition timing. 

Then I will do the same again at a 16.2:1 goal AFR. This will need a lot more ignition timing.

Then I will compare the differences to build an ignition trim overlay map that has AFR reading as one of the axes.

So if the car ends up running richer, it pulls the timing back out towards whatever my 14.7:1 value was, so its always safely running the optimum torque from the engine.

Will be interesting to see how much timing change the car wants over this span, I might push out the extremities a bit further and use 13.5 or something like that.

• Like 2

I ran my evo in the mid 16 afr's at low load cruise rpm (between 2600 and 3500 rpm) 

I believe this helped with turbo spool, but that could have been my imagination. It had 4 or 5 counts of transient knock showing on the datalog when you climbed into the throttle in 5th gear but I never lost any sleep over that. 

18 minutes ago, peteretep said:

do you know what modern cars afr/timing tables look like? could also be a good comparison

In my mind, some modern cars are running like 18:1 at cruise or even leaner. No basis as to where I got that info from though

A lot of modern cars run stratified combustion, where they create a swirl of air/fuel in the centre of the chamber that is close to stoichiometry but out by the cylinder walls is nothing but air.