Lada Niva Radiator Idea

kiwigunner

I am trying to find a tow company which will not rip me off completely to tow the car from swanson to west harbour, its like 5km max.

Aha! You are the one that outbid me! Did you get it for $250?

The woman there told me she knew of someone who would take a car anywhere for $40.

/I hope this is the same Lada we're talking about haha

• Like 1

my uncle converted one to a Toyota diesel engine not sure which one 2y? , maybe a 1.8 or something. Those things are neat with low range and diff lock... prob just bellhousing adapter and leave all its driveline intact as they go ANYWHERE, few times ive actually said let me out before going over a bluff or round some ridge, no mud swamp tyres or nothing, just fun, as.

2.4 from a surf/Hilux was a very common and popular mod.Thats a 2L, the Y is petrol ;)

Aha! You are the one that outbid me! Did you get it for $250?

The woman there told me she knew of someone who would take a car anywhere for $40.

/I hope this is the same Lada we're talking about haha

Username was aaronkelly1. I got it for less then $250.

$40 aye, i will have to ask her.

This is the one i got:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=520912160

The easiest way to boost torque (more useful off-road than power) is to fit a bigger motor.

I reckon a 4G63 would be great in a Niva and have thought of doing that to mine, but as people are saying it is too much work (even if you use a Mitsi 4WD box and avoid the engine-to-box conversion issues, TC shaft comes out the wrong side, etc, etc) unless you were doing it yourself and already had good fabbing skills and equipment.

Supercharging would be fun (and better than a turbo for off-roading), and while it can be done on a carby it'll never be as reliable as a less stressed larger motor. I'd avoid turbocharging as on a carby set up it be less reliable than a bigger less stressed motor, plus the power boost will be in the top end which is not ideal for off-roading.

Yep, the diff is bolted to a mount on the engine, but no biggy, - especially if you go the Fiat route...

The only motor than bolts in easily is the Fiat/Lancia DOHC. The Fiat uses the same mounts as the Lada motor, so far far less fabbing that any other motor will need. Basically all you need to do is get the sump modified to make room for the diff, grind a slot in the gearbox, fab a diff mount, and match the exhaust up.

The Fiat 2 litre will be far more reliable than a turbo (especially a carby based turbo set-up), much cheaper, and more useful off-road.

This swap has been done hundreds of times and there's plenty of info on doing it.

They're getting hard to find at sensible prices these days but they're still to be found, especially in your neck of the woods iirc.

Check out my site, there's lots of stuff you'll find handy to know there even about Nivas in general, plus it has Cloggy's Fiat DOHC conversion, which many people have used as a resource to do the same: www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter.

And sign up at the lada.co.uk forum; well worth it for advice and a good community. And there's a good thread there on getting more power out of the Lada engine (though remember you want power low in the rev range, not peaky like a hotted up car).

PS - Gee Motors in Napier are your friend. Only genuine parts dealer, and prices aren't too bad on most stuff.

Thanks Baxter!

I am so glad that there are so many Lada Fans.

Supercharging is a great idea, i just already have a TD-04 turbo sitting here, i was going to use that.

A Fiat TC is very expensive engine, worth a lot more then the car is.

I will post photos when the Lada arrives home tomorrow at 5pm.

• 3 years later...

Don't ladas have a stange front diff set up ? like it's part of the sump or something ? would make an engine convertion a mission. Id slap a SC14 supercharger on there and see how you go.

Some 4wd Nissan Skylines had a funny front diff set up, the diff was in the sump unlike the Niva where it's front diff is bolted underneath the engine.