63Ragtop's 63Ragtop

10Speed

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Some nice work going on there. Great to see someone having a crack themselves. Just one thing just make sure you don't bog on bare steel when you get to that stage. Over epoxy is the best you don't wana see all the steel work

Undone

I'm no expert mate but have a couple of mates in the trade. And take it from me there's nothing worse than spending hours and hours sanding and blocking to end up with a straight shiny car then have it start bubbling after a couple of years. I've just stripped a car that was bog on bare steel and you should see the surface rust under it ,

• 2 months later...

Looks awesome!

Do you have any sheetmetal buttweld clamps? I got 8 off eBay the other day... Sooooo great. Easier than magnets as they have some decent force to hold the edges perfectly aligned

Pretty much the best thing ever invented (for me anyway as I need all the help I can get )

edited_20151001_171947.jpg

Ah, I see. Thing is, that patch I just finished is only the bottom of the panel, which has plenty of space at the bottom but only a 1cm gap at the top between the outer and inner panel/frame, so I'd prolly drop all those lovely little metal rods and tangs down inside and never see them again.

cheers boys.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't really given a lot of thought, as to what the finish look of this car will be. I've just been trying to make the body solid and the chassis road legal, the plan was always just to have it back on the road looking like it always did, but without all the rot. But as the metal work is starting to near the the end, thoughts of paint and other finishes are starting to form in my head, everything from a smoothed out custom, to a fauxtina ratter, or a Motorhead inspired Gasser! I mean come on! with song titles like - Killed by Death, No Remorse and of course The Ace of Spades, and Lemmys motto; Born to Lose. Live to Win emblazed on the side!
it's perfect for the ultimate underdog that VW's are.
And as I'm a tiny budget, it's never going to be a show car with a garage paint job, and I tend to thrash things a little anyway so, might as well have some fun!

Anyway, I stumbled across this the other day I gotta say, I friggin love it!

skNbaeZ_zpsyxanmp35.jpg

the battle scarred old paint, the wide rims and white lettered tyres, that "i mean bidness"stance, to cool.
Like it just came off the track after a awesome battle with these guys.

Historic_Motor_Racing_News_02pop.jpg?ito

So the idea of a old school street racer is where I'm at now, a imagined past that never happened where my car was a midnight highway stormer, kicking ass and taking scalps and pinks. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Enough nonsense! I've always wanted to have real bucket seats in this thing, low fixed back buckets, like cobra make, but at 4-5 hundy each I wasn't going to worry about it any time soon. a couple weeks back I noticed these for sale on TM, and cheap.

417740049_zpsus0qufyv.jpg

but my stupid brain forgot about them/don't really need them anyway, then I got a fixed price offer from the seller, guess no one else wanted them, okay I'll take them!
One problem, they're in wellington, or rather Kapiti. No problem I'm pretty sure there is a veedubnut in kapiti, hope they are close by! Turns out the seller is pretty much one of KombiZombi's neighbours! so they are now safely tucked up in his shed till I think of a way to get them north. icon_cool.gif icon_biggrin.gif
Look pretty old school racer to me!
Just need one of these.
393183333.jpg

It's the smaller not monster tach size, which would look sweet fitted to the steering column like dis.

gauges-1.jpg

hopefully I can suss out some way of doing to with my later 60's style steering column.
I think that's enough bullshit for one day, what do you guys think?

Disclamer: The contents of this post is subject to change without notice. 63Ragtop accepts no liability for any loss or damage howsoever arising from any use or misuse of or reliance on any information in this website so na na nan na na!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kudos on the repairs! Agree with the bottom outer skin on the door, it is a hard one to get right. I did my rear door in the van and it was a mission to get half right, even though its narrower then your door.

Keep up the door work though man. Do it once, do it right and hopefully you wont have to make repairs for years to come.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...