• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

Yeah, trying to not let it get me down, pretty ballsy thinking I could build a engine with no formal training and it would start first pop. I'm certainly learning.

Yeah bro, fucking nice job. Maybe something to do with your end float/flywheel/rear seal? Or oil pump? 

1 hour ago, yetchh said:

/rear seal? 

Not vw but have had a customer with an old buick? engine that had issues with the old style 'dog turd'/ rope rear main seal being tight as. It siezed when I was doing an exhaust cert on it, which gave me the shits a bit  

I can't remember what the fix was though so ling post, sorry 

• Like 1

Just now, cletus said:

Not vw but have had a customer with an old buick? engine that had issues with the old style 'dog turd'/ rope rear main seal being tight as. It siezed when I was doing an exhaust cert on it, which gave me the shits a bit  

I can't remember what the fix was though so ling post, sorry 

You work it in till it fits. 

I used a ton of oil and a few different sockets, rolling it in till it was a good fit, then new razor blade on the ends to get the correct height

3 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

So far I checked the end float, seems good, 0.012mm.

Double checked the pulley wasn't rubbing, checked timing, valve clearance. Strip it down this weekend if I have time, what a ballache.

Yeah but better you find it now rather than down the track and really do damage.. 

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Generic barrel type oil pressure sensor should do the trick for the oil pieces (2 wire type), oil temp should use a generic type temp sensor as well usually a single wire. 

tacho is fairly straightforward with diagrams online, usually:

acc + (red)

earth (black)

light + (yellow)

coil - (green)

may be a couple of wires on that to change from 4/6/8 cylinder

• Thanks 1

The autometer senders for the pressure and temp gauges are buried in my treasure trove of broken dreams.... Unfortunately I am over the seas so cant get them too you !! But if you wanted to call into work, I can forewarn the team and they can get you into my lockup. they will be in one of the boxes marked VW shit...

• Thanks 1