63Ragtop's 63Ragtop

10Speed

Oh the studs on the heads?  Possibly, it is actually quite a distance along the system from there, if you know what I mean. The muffler part bolts on to front exhaust stud with a short hanger just visable in that photo if you look on the inside of the right 180 bend. I've have trouble with this one in the past, the thread just seemed chewed out on the other one. Something to think about though. Thanks man. 

Really needs a whole new system, guy on TM sells a great looking one, similar style to this but a rip off of the spendy CSP python exhausts. And finally give up on having a working heater system.

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

In my experience, any extra pressure in the crankcase causes a myriad of oil leaks. As for the rear main, if its a fairly high kilometre engine then the bearings, especially at the back, will be slogged and letting oil out the seal. 

• Like 2

Yep, a very slippery slope. I do have some NOS bare factory heads stashed for the "one day" build. 

Plan this far is to replace oil cooler, rear seal, reseal alt stand, remove heads, maybe jugs? Hope they aren't stuffed, reseal with new pushrod tubes, install better engine breather system. 

Drive until it dies.

• Like 1

Good page that, good info.

The is the bare minimum set up is the old cast alloy empi box, connecting the oil filler and both valve covers, many many options and devices out there.

This is a tidy install.

image.png.f6c6789bbdbfebebce99f7231e1d6a45.png

Can't help but feel these are quite small? Or does that matter as the oil should be draining back down at the same time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sluggy said:

Large tube of silicon sealant....

For the record, do you still have my torque multiplier thingy ? Or have I misplaced it... 

Tube of poo it is!

Yep, I've still got the torque tool, bit embarrassing how long I've had it.

You don't have a rear seal putter innera by any chance?

image.png.90d26befb1a09d8d5618af2d60aeda5e.png

This big washer thing.

I will return the torque tool once the flywheel is back on.

• 4 months later...

Man this took some time to find. Ended up Googling it and come across it.

Re oil leaks and pressure, did you find your cork gaskets always leaking? Vw mechanic who built my engine puts wheel bearing grease on both sides of the cork when putting them on. Solves leaking from that region and helps hold them when you put them on.

• Like 1

I learnt a long time ago that nothing beats good German valve covers and bale's. I once thought chrome covers looked cool, wholey puck they leaked like shit, the cork gaskets would slip off the edge inside the cover, halfway to Waihi in the middle of the night as it happened. but getting back to your question, I don't use anything on the seals, I think it's the only place that doesn't leak.

• Like 1