63Ragtop's 63Ragtop

10Speed

2 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

anyone have any tips on re-greasing them? or how to clean out the old dried out stuff?

anyone know where to buy vinyl paint for the door cards?

First Question - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335018    (steps 14-16)

Second Question - VHT do a REALLY good vinyl paint. I got mine from Repco but probably plenty of places to get it from.

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't say in the article but it looks like in your photo that there are 2 points of contact for the window to attach to the regulator and that the points are independent of each other once the cable is withdrawn - so personally I would put them at a known point on the winder (like fully up or fully down) and then mark on the tube where both of them sit before pulling the inner cable out. That will mean you can't paint the tube unless you have some other way of getting the mark to stay visible after you have painted and before reassembly.

Turn out they do work the same as the single reds, BUT! because the actual winder plate is pressed together over the tube, the inner wire could only go so far before the mounts would reach the plate and could go no mo.

I gave them both a good clean and smooshed as much grease as I could back inside, that'll bloody do.

20170713_224552.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect I left mine in the sun prior (but to be honest it was so long ago I might be imagining it).  Also, when you do get them on the window, make sure the corners aren't stretched too tight/thin or the outside of the rubber won't sit on the body.

And finally be glad you're not dealing with the extra work the chrome brings :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...