1963 VW Beetle:Ragtop Resto.

63Ragtop

been focused on the engine for the last couple weeks.

dirty.

clean.

mean!

was hoping some of it's hp might rub off on my bucket.

back in the cave.

gave the heat exchangers a good de-grease.

they're pretty much worn out, but will do a few more miles/years, until I finally give up on this fantasy of having a working heater.(its never worked)

Alt stand and a very quick black paint job.

if you look back a couple post, you'll notice the fan shroud had two holes for the throttle cable, neither were in the right spot.

sorted.

terrible paint on this thing, ran out of primer, ah fuckit!

shiny!

sparky!

after spending a not insignificant amount of time cleaning up all the old, oil covered stainless tinwear screws,

I found these new button head ones, ah well! :roll:

• Like 5

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B6HS.

Hmmmmmmm.

that don't look right at all.

so I took it all back apart, double checked everything, took the Alternator off, put the gennie back on, still the same.
I think it's been like this for years, I blame the shitty aftermarket tinwear, the Alt can move back into the stand but the shroud and everthing thats bolted to won't let it, I even leaned on it and got a mate to tighten the strap, but that juts made it crooked and out of alignment.

need more beer

• Like 4

Now I did say I'd sort the indicators today didn't I.

got these off trademe for 20bucka, it did say mini LED indicators(mouse for scale) :shock: 
The plan is to drill a hole in the headlight inner bucket thing.

Artsy reflection shot because art school drop out.

• Like 8

installed the tiny lights last week

added another nut to jam it in place and so the thread bit doesn't stick out to much.

took the opportunity to replace the left chrome ring with a non dented one from my stash.
clean and polish everything.
the adjusters on the old ring were all lose and broken, so two birds, one stone.

looks pretty good.

tried to wire 'em up but no dice, I did get the left park light working just by fiddling around with the park light bulb and other wires, no such luck with the right hand side, bad earth I'm hoping?

i think I need a LED flasher unit?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been have been having a nightmare getting this thing legal, Drove it to work a couple weeks back as I was feeling to weak with a headcold to ride my bike anymore, Knocked off early and went to see Frank at the local vw workshop, but he had staff off sick also and was flatout himself. So I rolled the dice at a nice looking garage across the road from work.
I didn't want to leave my baby with any fuckwit or some young guy who wouldn't even know how to drive a real old car, this guy has been in the trade for nearly 30 years and use to own/work on bugs back in the day, Sorted.
Or so I thought, it failed, which I was fully expecting, as the brakes are not great and the rear tyres are old,hard and nearly bald. But it didn't fail on any of those things, there were a few small things like rear seat belts are old and one won't adjust, somehow though the rear tyres pasted and the front one didn't because apparently they are full on drift spec stretched tyres, ie to narrow for the rims :? and the real kicker the chassis number doesn't match the paper work, this was something I've always know about, this car is build from about 12 bugs, but no one has ever worried or picked up on it before, so I was off to the vtnz, handly just up the road also, filled out MR16 change of reg details form, waited a week, computer says no. :evil: can't just be swapping chassis numbers around I guess.
So now I'm waiting again for the faceless bureaucrats to rubber stamp me a new VIN number and I should be good to go! still need to sort a couple small things but tyres really piss me off,I looked up the rim size they fit on(145.65.15) a smart car and it's 5inchs, these mags are 5.5inch, that an't stretched fuck all and in my opinion, the rear tyres are more dangerous as most of the vehicles weight is on the rear.

rant rant ranty rant, I know the guy is just doing his job, but I'm running out of energy at this point.

anyway as our recently departed friend Mr Petty sang, Waiting is the hardest part.

37530599036_e474d143d1_h.jpg

so I didn't
37579150401_e42a71da04_h.jpg

rush hour still sucks

37320373191_239a680857_h.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys, remember me?
:lol: 
Still driving this thing everyday, been trying to get the brakes to work better, had the handbrake button pop off the other day, I had never really adjusted it much, it worked, I had other things to sort out, so i put it back together and carried on. After the button came lose again I realised it was because I hadn't adjusted it tight enough and the clicker was running off the end and undoing its self :roll: So, put it back together again and adjusted it more and whatya know? the pedal feels much better too! Not sure how that works but it's much nicer to drive without the pedal going right to the firewall.
Re greased and adjusted the king and link pins this week, gave the front drums and bearing a tickle while I was at it, again, much nicer to drive. I also sorted something that had bothered me for years before I took it off the road. The breather on the oil filler would just spit oil mist out all over the back of the engine lid, originally I had a neat little K&N filter here, but after a month or so it got blocked and oil pissed out of the dipstick hole and made a mess.

38297043361_fe00637b6e_b.jpg

Screwed a right angle fitting in and a length of hose out down under the tinwear with all the other oil leaks :lol:

and went for the a drive.

26577654979_87619448f3_b.jpg

Whats wrong with Huntly?

24481825308_b90080a6b9_b.jpg

made it to my parents in Te Kowhai.

26577300109_30881ba506_b.jpg

photo op at the meeting of the waters

still need to get that sunroof replaced and really needs a couple hundard kgs of dynamat, with earplugs its fine. And those assholes need to finish that motorway in and out of Auckland!
Stuck in gridlock at one in the afternoon because State Highway 1 is one friggin lane :roll: :roll:

• Like 7

Well that was a interesting 2 hour lunch brake.

These brakes are gunna brake me, I just can't catch a brake, the colonel brake dancing, Gimma a brake!

This is what happens when you install your hard brake lines before you install your shocks, everything looks fine, clears nicely, close but nice, then add the shell, fenders and other panels, engine, interior, passengers etc...

the very tip of the flare on the end of the shocks dust cover was just touching just enough to do this, dunno who built this bloody thing! :x :roll: fortunately the same idiot installed a twin circuit system, so I was able to get off the motorway, but once I stopped had a look underneth the air had got in and I had hardly any brakes at all!

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...