tyronj's 280zx 2 seater

ProZac

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much love for these man, looks like you've scored some awesome goodies there. Those wheels are pretty cool and that bolt in cage looks to be quite awesome.

That rust though, whoa.... That'll be challenging fun :).

Yea totally stoked to be honest, apparently the last owner had the rims made for the car and has allowed for a sizeable brake upgrade also :) Lucky for me that the car comes with a near mint spare bonnet too - but yea the rest is gunna be exciting.

So keen to get some feed back/ideas....... Original idea was an RB Turbo conversion, however now on the fence. Maybe stroke the L28 with the LD28 diesel crank and rods (bringing it to 3.1L) i've been told this is possible using the petrol pistons.

***********Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong BTW**********

If i was to stroke it and keep it N/A i was thinking using ITB's and high compression with a street/race cam profile (with associated valve train hardware required). Obviously bigger injectors, extractors, exhaust, etc.

I have currently have in the shed an original Link Plus ECU, VL commodore fuel pump(RB30E) and a Malpassi adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Let me know your thoughts.......Cheers

So keen to get some feed back/ideas....... Original idea was an RB Turbo conversion, however now on the fence. Maybe stroke the L28 with the LD28 diesel crank and rods (bringing it to 3.1L) i've been told this is possible using the petrol pistons.

***********Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong BTW**********

If i was to stroke it and keep it N/A i was thinking using ITB's and high compression with a street/race cam profile (with associated valve train hardware required). Obviously bigger injectors, extractors, exhaust, etc.

I have currently have in the shed an original Link Plus ECU, VL commodore fuel pump(RB30E) and a Malpassi adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Let me know your thoughts.......Cheers

How much money do you have and what are you wanting to do with the car in the end?

Haven't set a budget atm.... I guess its really going 2 be a weekend car, I jst think it may be better 2 keep it original or close 2 it.

As I said still on the fence as I love RB's so still may do it.

There is a million how to's on doing the L31 conversion - you need the L28 block/head and LD28 crank at least.

From there you can do it with a mix'n'match Nissan parts like L24 rods (a particular type) and Z18 pistons or something like that.

Or you can buy the rods and pistons aftermarket - while expensive - they are brand new and good quality..

Do a quick google search on Nissan/Datsun L31 and there will be umpteen websites to choose where to get the info from - some more detailed than others.

Rob/Voldo would be the man to suss a cam and associated hardware as he works for Kelford in Chch and has been playing with Datsuns since Barney and Fred last won the bowling league.

It really comes down to what you want to spend and what you are doing with the car. Sticking with the L series depending on what else you are doing with the car means you don't have to cert it. For the price of a well build 3.1L with throttle bodies + gearbox I'd guess you could get 50 - 100% more power out of an RB25 or 25/30.

There are things I miss about my old 3.1 with throttle bodies but I wouldn't go back from the RB in the Z. I would like to build another turbo L series at some stage though.

Depends what you want, n/a or turbo. If you want turbo, then no doubt RB is going to be cheaper for the same power. However, if going n/a I'd stick with the L. They have more potential and have a lot cheaper valvetrain (half the number of valvesprings and cams to buy...)

Don't forget about nostalgia, either.

Depends what you want, n/a or turbo. If you want turbo, then no doubt RB is going to be cheaper for the same power. However, if going n/a I'd stick with the L. They have more potential and have a lot cheaper valvetrain (half the number of valvesprings and cams to buy...)

Don't forget about nostalgia, either.

I'm interested to know why the L series has more potential N/A than an RB?