tyronj's 280zx 2 seater

ProZac

Main issue with the RB is the direct acting valvetrain, you just can't get any lift into them. Due to bucket diameter you can only lift them to ~11mm (thats dropping the seats in the head and reducing basecircle on the cams. They also have a major issue of an oil gallery that runs down the bucket bores, if you lift the bucket past this gallery you will loose oil pressure to the head).

The heads outflow the L (290ish CFM for ported RB26, 240ish for ported L) but this doesn't make up for the lack of lift, you can smash an L valve down 16mm. Due to this total airflow through the head for the same duration will be more on the L.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Z was picked up from my Uncles house Tuesday arvo sweet.... She missed the overnight transporter on Tuesday night rrrrrrrr. Missed the day run yesterday yippee!!

As you can imagine im hangin out like a mofo!!!!

Apparently it will be here around mid afternoon today as it left Auck's this morning. I have the Clutch slave and master cylinders here already so as soon as she's of the truck it'll be over the pit and change those hydraulics - then im guna take her for a FANG.... 8)

Ill post some pics when she arrives.

I love the rims on this car mate.

Your a brave man, picking a car with this much rust.

Can I make a suggestion: make a rolling car frame pick a safe spot to attach the car on four points, say around the firewall under the car and before the end of the rear seat, on either side.

Strip it, and introduce the shell to Mr Sandblaster :P

I love the rims on this car mate.

Your a brave man, picking a car with this much rust.

Can I make a suggestion: make a rolling car frame pick a safe spot to attach the car on four points, say around the firewall under the car and before the end of the rear seat, on either side.

Strip it, and introduce the shell to Mr Sandblaster :P

Yip rims are boss!

The rust has gone from epic to epic on roids and P..... it is way worse than i thought - but hey i love a challenge!

These 2str 280zx's only get better with age - worth the grief to save IMHO. Check out rocky auto for engine inspiration. Power is one thing but think of the sound from a na cross flow rb26/30 hybrid with carbs or throttle body injection...........num num

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you'll ever find a "good" set of guards, they are pretty much all rooted, either at the bottom, around where the guard mirrors used to be or along the lip. Unless you buy some fibreglass ones.