1980 Datsun 280Z 2 Seater

tyronj

So i have a public thank you to make to Ben and Dave whom i work with. They have put alot of time into this rusty pigglet and have done a great job.

That said lets do an update..........

Heres another shot of the fuel line awesomeness and a shot of the new goods installed (also got the inspection lamp sorted):

20130517_134635_zps9c4cb93b.jpg                             20130517_141631_zps8709ad79.jpg

Who would have thought that this was the same door (Dave's handy work).

20130517_130825_zpse59ea3d2.jpg                           20130517_130807_zps7eb5bcd9.jpg

Got a door and guard and door fitted too.

20130517_163854_zpsa5c4edaa.jpg

BTW photobucket and or oldschool are fucking with me rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

More progress today............

Drivers door is now sorted

20130520_134826_zpsc1d07f39.jpg20130520_131540_zps0c8583a5.jpg20130520_131553_zps307d5f9c.jpg

I also sorted out a couple of other fiddley bits like remove the 5 core wire for a trailer plug that some numpty fitted at some stage on the cars past and repaired loom as required. Also cut out the remaining wiring loom (that was damaged/repaired/corroded) for the electric aerial. Refit the brake line clips around the left front corner and tidied up some other bits around the place that had been removed for those epic inner guard repairs (that still give me nightmares lol).

Hopefully get the right door, bonnet and right front guard fitted tomorrow or the day after. Then its just the mega rust fucked rear hatch repaired and that will be it for rust....... i fucken hope

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

So its been a while since my last update sooooooooo..........

Don't give me no lip!

20130613_083646_zps9d930b75.jpg

Arse end now smoothed and ready for filler primer:

20130613_162251_zpsda8395ff.jpg20130618_162200_zpsdae81a30.jpg

20130618_162148_zps4164c1f6.jpg20130618_162141_zps99156f1d.jpg

So thats whats been happening to the old girl. Oh finally decided on a colour - its Ice Blue Metallic which is a Nissan colour circa 99-09. Kinda looks silver really but when looking at an angle you can see the slight blue. So i'm thinking ill run with the standard front and rear bumpers and when i get round to it will get some black bolt on flares, some mega low (by way of adjusties) and buy some wider outter bands for the rims. Think ill also paint the wheel centres like satin black too!

Let me know your thoughts, comments - cheers.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Ok time for an update....its been a while.

So with the workshop going through some changes and buying another business( being a rather time consuming exercise) i haven't had much time to devote to the old girl.

Any how here is how it sits -

Front guards are done, doors are done, rear quarters are done, all ready for filler prime. 

The bonnet, front vallance panels and roof need a little filler and finally the rear hatch needs to be un-rust fucked.... some of which has been done but it needs more work -THEN PAINT!!!!!

Oh yeah changed my mind on the paint lol its now going to be red - not sure exactly what the colour is off hand but i bought it off David. Its a transparent red that needs to be applied to a dark primer. We sprayed a piece of panel steel as a test and in the shade it looks blood red but in the light its bright and looks deep with a butt load of metallic flake and a little pearl.

The other thing ive been playing around with is suspension. Just through trial and error ive found that you can use a P10 Primer front shock with a customised lower bush with a FWD V6 Cefiro rear spring with factory s130 top hat for the rear of these 280zx's - its mega low but if you have the correct after market spring it will work mint.

I have be trying to fit A31 front suspension to the Z also - this has been frustrating thus far. The strut bolts it all good but thats where it ends. The issue is with the bottom arm. Anyone familiar with nissan RWD's will know but A31's, R31's, S13's, S14's bla bla so on all have a bottom arm where the ball joint end kicks up slightly as the bottom knuckle on the hub is angled also. I was hoping i could bolt the hub to the standard arm but no, that aint happening. coz the S130 bottom arm is flat at the ball joint end, meaning that when it is bolted up the ball joint is pinned hard back towards the inner guard and binds - rrrrrrrr.

So thanks to Jeremy (you know who you are) and also big thanks to Ace Auto Dismantlers in PN i have checked out all possible bottom arms in the Nissan Family to find which will bolt in....... the answer is fricken none of them! - well potentially the S14 arm may work length wise as it is the longest in the family, but i am almost certain that i will no achieve enough negative camber and the sway bar link and radius rod mounts are way off anyway.

Long story short is that i have found that there is no bolt in option without modification of arms, etc - Fookme. Not a complete write off though as i have learnt quite abit about nissan suspension - which cant be a bad thing right?

Also i may have accidentally bought an LD28 crank  :badgrin:  

Ill upload some pics at some stage - Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Right so i haven't given up on this car, although i should have - someone shoot me if i get another project that is so rusty and made of wafer thin sheet metal that when cleaned back resembles a golf ball finish :evil: . Every part of this project has been 1 step forward and 5 steps back so frustrating and draining.

Dave has put a massive amount of time into the 280 and its looking great - so big thanks to him. PS....he fucken hates this car i'm sure.

Okay enough crying here is where we are at:

The tailgate is fixed, the bonnet is fixed, the hole car is straight and has had its first coat of high solids filler primer (with the exception of the underside of the bonnet and hatch which will get done in the next few days). I have bought some extractors off TM and the old exhaust system except the manifold has been removed. the dash has been removed and restored - cost a bomb but looks trick, oh yes and then the front screen had to come out and some more rust was repaired no surprises there lol.

Currently the underside of the floor has been buffed back and is ready for  some rail reconstruction thanks to some tard forklifting the car in its past. Then rust inhibitor and under seal - oh and found a couple of minor spots of rust to fix (wow what a surprise you may say). once thats done ill fit the extractors (fix a knackered thread in the cylinder head) and build an new exhaust system.  I won't touch the trans tunnel and rear floor above the diff area until im ready to hook out the motor and box at some point in the future and utilise the stroker crank i bought for it 8) . 

The new filler prime will need blocking, a another few coats and then a final block and then top coat. Hopefully it will be painted within the next 4 to 6 weeks. during the next month i will get the seats recovered and order the carpet sets and under-felt shit.

Next its the floor inside to clean up and treat/paint and also the rear inner guards to under-seal. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Ok we have been busy on the old girl lately - here is what has been done.......

Filler prime coat 1:

f93c1ade-a06f-40c5-afd2-ae26737c768c_zps967c04f6-6ccb-446c-bad2-9b35f539db37_zps6abc4ae9-81c6-47a4-b28c-4d84e6c9dd3f_zps

55a3176c-ff6a-4866-9998-c5705e8a4d31_zps3FF48AEA-28E4-448E-8B11-A78E82FFEC65_zps016A1710-AE37-4208-AF45-39265115C8DC_zps

Inside and outside of floor is done, including new sound deadening:

DA8D2F83-E804-4949-8DDC-D530C6971444_zpsF0405EBB-4A56-4BA6-9EFA-F448A3C3166D_zps

I stripped the manifolds off, added an O2 sensor fitting to the headers and wrpped them in black heat wrap. There were some dodgie threads in the head but managed to overcome that by fitting studs to the head rather than using the factory bolts:

F2C204F7-6381-4C72-BFC3-B0E9BEA99CEF_zps

I have been looking for an oil pressure gauge sender unit but couldn't find any in NZ (other than being quoted $475 + GST ex Japan from nissan.....fuck that shit! So i went hunting on zstore.com and found a new one and 2 new sunvisor clips for $130NZD delivered - chur:

2FC19AA4-216A-46FD-91FB-F532F1107A98_zps

I decided to investigate an oil leak from the speedo drive and found that the internal lip seal that seals on the internal shaft was screwed so i striped it cleaned everything and replaced the seals:

AC817F3C-2F85-4C85-AAFE-C7DFDBD1AD65_zps

As for the body - at present the rear guards roof and doors are ready for the final hit of filler primer, next on the agenda is finish blocking the hatch, front guards, bonnet and valance.

Not sure when this will be painted now as it seems to take 4 times longer than i anticipate to get anything done so ill stop chucking timeframes out there - it will farkin happen when it does :)

Cheers

• Like 2