AllTorque's 1970 Buick Sportwagon

AllTorque

Yea bang 12V to the fan, then check the blower fan resistor they all rust out, they usually sit in the ducting after the blower. Then theres a fan relay under the dash, new blower fans are cheap. Also sweet score if you can get some R12, just make sure your system gets a once over so you don't waste it! chances are high your compressor has a leaky front seal.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea just because I have pulled my whole car apart and had to replace almost every part, GM stuff is all similar enough in this era.

You can convert this to R134a and have success if that is a cheaper option? doesn't matter so much if you have to regas every couple of years. Anyway can help more when it comes time to fix it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is really shit!!!

There are aluminium brazing rods available which could fix that and I'm pretty sure strength wouldn't be an issue for the braze as its probably stronger than parent material. should be reliable and much easier than welding.

there is a nz supplier for the product and I think you should call them and discuss what's happened- they might say yes! Or nooooo.

Found it!

http://www.durafix.co.nz/index.php

This sounds ideal.

Edit: I'm curious as to why it cracked in the first place though

Thats a nasty crack, I wouldn't try to fix it with those low temperature repair rods, the crack must have caused some misalignment and strain to make those metal flakes in the oil

I will pull the pump off and have a look. I suspect the pump would have been under a lot of strain.

Good to hear. Have you used the product before?

had many and various attempts to fix car parts, motorcycle parts and machine tools with various methods of joining aluminum. 

the only one way that has worked and worked long term is the weld fish plates or strengthening plates over the crack. shape them in such a way so there is no stress concentration points.

this isn't always feasible and if the part has high tolerance machining in it you will need to re-machine it somehow. not always doable. 

but yea, low temp joints are about as strong as using milky cornflakes.

I will pull the pump off and have a look. I suspect the pump would have been under a lot of strain.

Yer all the load of the engine and trans bouncing up and down, the shaft would have been the only thing stopping it from crashing down onto the road,

Would a GM trans fit?